Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

desertislesql
Helper III
Helper III

Gateways for Azure SQL Database VM deployed from Power BI Desktop

If my datasource is an Azure SQL Server VM, and I have used Power BI Desktop to create and deploy a model to Power BI Service, when I want to refresh my data, do I need to install the new gateway to refresh my data? It doesn't make sense to me that I would since the data is stored in the cloud and not locally, but I wanted to confirm.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@desertislesql Grr. I was just going to post an edit to validate that... IAAS is considered "on-premises" So you would need a gateway. Sorry if I mis-understood the initial question. There is a slight wording difference in names. (PAAS = Azure SQL DB), (IAAS = SQL DB on Azure)

IAAS = Need a Gateway

PAAS = Do not need a Gateway

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@desertislesql Nope, you are right. There is a chart on this page you can use for quick reference as well.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you. I am glad to have that confirmed in writing so the next person looking to use  Azure SQL Server as an IAAS source will know that no gateway is required. Appreciated the quick response.

@desertislesql Grr. I was just going to post an edit to validate that... IAAS is considered "on-premises" So you would need a gateway. Sorry if I mis-understood the initial question. There is a slight wording difference in names. (PAAS = Azure SQL DB), (IAAS = SQL DB on Azure)

IAAS = Need a Gateway

PAAS = Do not need a Gateway

We just migrated to a VM in Azure running SQL 2014, which I believe is IAAS and therefore we need a gateway.  Do you know of any documentation on what type of gateway and where it should be installed?

@gjohnston You probably want to install the on-premises data gateway - documentation here. While it should work on any machine in your domain, you would want to install it on the machine that you will be accessing data the most from. In that respect, you won't be making extra calls between machines for certain connection types.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors