Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KarlCullimore
Advocate II
Advocate II

Gateway will not connect to an Excel File due to naming convention

Has anyone else had the same issue , I had an error connecting to an Excel sheet on a local drive. So I checked it was not pointing a a hard coded drive C;\ but at the actual link \\ .  I managed to fix it by amending from '20170101 – ABC.xlsx' to 20170101_ABC.xlsx has anyone else come across any naming conventions that caused an issue ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@KarlCullimore,

What error message do you get? I have no issues connecting to the Excel file which has spaces in file name under gateway, please review the following screenshot.

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Bordalos
Helper I
Helper I

@KarlCullimore do you have spaces before and after the dash? 

Data Management Best Practices for file naming  recommends to:

• Avoid Special characters such as  ~ ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) ` ; < > ? , [ ] { } ' " and |
  • Do not use spaces. Some software will not recognize file names with spaces, and file names with spaces must be enclosed in quotes when using the command line. Other options include:
    • Underscores, e.g. file_name.xxx
    • Dashes, e.g. file-name.xxx
    • No separation, e.g. filename.xxx
    • Camel case, where the first letter of each section of text is capitalized, e.g. FileName.xxx

Thats why when you changed it to a 20170101_ABC.xlsx it worked.

BR

BR

Thanks @Bordalos it did indeed have spaces before and after.  As I need to update my company docs for our self service contingent, I could do with knowing whihc microsoft site this comes from so that I can add it to company documentation on the Power BI gateway. If you have a link that would be very much appreciated.

@KarlCullimore,

What error message do you get? I have no issues connecting to the Excel file which has spaces in file name under gateway, please review the following screenshot.

1.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

I cannot reproduce , the error message was an unable to connect issue. But it currently reading as connection succesful. Im blaming the hidden character issue. 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors