Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jchbh

Gateway connected but can not access SSAS tabular, The name provided is not a properly formed accoun

I host SSAS on Azure VM, connect SQL server as Data source in same VM. install and develop report with Power BI desktop in same machine.

I install the Power BI on promised gateway in order to publish to my account. After setup the gateway setting in PowerBI, all thing looks well (report green connected message), but when click datasets, it shows an error said: ''there was a data source access error. Please contact the gateway administrator". 

Then I try directly use "Get Data" to connect to SSAS, it shows error following:

Something went wrong.
Technical details:
Activity ID: c69e25f6-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-f8878dff2c44
Request ID: 2fdfdce4-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-14db6c706d16
Date: 2017-01-05 01:45:21Z (UTC)
Error text: The following system error occurred: The name provided is not a properly formed account name.

How can I debug this problem?

I search a lot and think it might need to setup "Map user names".

I don't understand this function because the two options 'Effective User name'/'CustomData' are so comfusing and I don't know what should to be `Replace`d? 

when I try setup the 'CustomData' with anything, there will show another Error:

The following system error occurred: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

I have already spend 8 hours on this problem, and now I think I have already try all the way I can, is any one can help me with the problem? or tell me know to trace with above message. 

P.S.  Currently in my local machine, I use windows main account to login to SSAS, it looks like 'TEST\abc', and the local SQL server using the same account to login too (also setup SQL account login).

6 REPLIES 6
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@jchbh, I can tell how I've mapped. 

I have local PC and PBI service accounts.

You can select 'Effective user names'. You should see your PBI service account in list of users in tab 'Users' below.

Then you put this account name like yourPBIaccount@somedomain.com to 'Replace' field and your local PC like yourPCaccount@somelocaldomain.com to 'With' field.

Then If you enter your PBI service account one more time into field 'Original name' you can press 'Test rule'  to check if it is correct.

Then press 'Ok'

mappingmapping

@zoloturu ,

how do you get this screen with the "Map user names" button ? Doesn't seem to be there any longer.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jchbh,

Do you use an account of your Azure VM  or an account of local VM to login SSAS?

In your scenario, you would need to join your SSAS Azure VM in a domain, and sync your local AD to Azure AD, otherwise, you will get the above error when connecting to SSAS from Power BI Service.

There is a similar thread for your reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Connecting-to-SSAS-tabular-model/td-p/7...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Similar situation. This has to be the simplest configuration possible:

• I have a standalone PC (i.e. not on a corporate network, not in a Windows network or domain) with a lot of horsepower on a fast network
  • I have a perfectly functional SQL Server instance for database and Analysis Services Multidimensional
  • I have installed the Power BI Gateway, and everything reporting "Online: You are good to go." for the two on-prem databases - the gateway sees them
  • If I try to "Get Data" from inside the BI Service, the SSAS data source is listed - the service sees it on the gateway
  • But if I try to click on that Data Source Name, here's the infamous, "Something went wrong ... The name provided is not a properly formed account name." error message
  • BI Desktop has no problem seeing and building with these data sources
  • If I publish from Desktop ("Publishing succeeded") and try to open the result in Service, I get "Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connection to the server, and try again."  

If I read the currently inadequate information on the web for this situation, it sounds like this all boils down to Active Directory.

Seriously? A standalone machine can't push data to the service without being a part of Active Directory? Please, somebody with some credibility tell me that's not the case, and document a REAL solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Have you managed to get solution of this problem? I am also facing the exact same problem you went through.

Please respond.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am able to resolve the problem by bringing my machine on domain.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors