Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Gateway Source Issue

I am well versed in the data gateway and am the admin of a gateway with a plethora of source connections . . . all of which work. This is not my first Rodeo. I am, however, failing to connect to a folder and after multiple attempts I am reaching out to see if anyone can point out an obvious error before I reach out to microsoft. I am getting data from a folder on a shared drive (which I currently do for 15 different folders and all work with the same path with the exception of the folder name) so the shared drive is accessible. I have removed and republished the data model and removed and recreated the connection multiple times and still get an error. The images show the error, the gateway path (connection successful), and my file path. What am I missing?

folderpath.JPGgateway error.JPGgateway view.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your folder paths match, so my next troubleshooting step would be to check the "Data Source Settings" button in Power BI Desktop.  This should give you the concise listing of all of the data sources in your Power BI file.  Chances are there is one in there that isn't properally configured in your gateway.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gabrielvigo
Helper I
Helper I

Something similar happens to me. I have a data set with two sources. One source is a SQL database and the other is an XLSX file in a folder on the shared disk.

If I leave only the SQL data source, there are no issues. The problem is when I want to connect to the data source on the shared disk.
I have the same issues that you have.

It would be nice if someone who has had experience with files on shared discs, on premise, help us with this.

I have been advised to use SharePoint Online to host the files. I'm going to do tests, if it works, I'll tell you @kcantor.

But the ideal would be to solve the shared disk.

Regards!

@gabrielvigo

I have other datasets pulling from the same shared drive and they work. I refuse to use sharepoint as I have lost connection with my refresh when using it. Microsoft had to go in and reset the backside to point it back to our server to keep me from losing a massive model. After that I vowed to never connect through sharepoint again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your folder paths match, so my next troubleshooting step would be to check the "Data Source Settings" button in Power BI Desktop.  This should give you the concise listing of all of the data sources in your Power BI file.  Chances are there is one in there that isn't properally configured in your gateway.

@Anonymous

Spot on. I double checked those settings and discovered the report creator moved the folder to shared drive after creating the report. They pointed the connection to the new file location but the function included in the folder import still had the original connection hidden in it. Therefore, when I checked the query editor and looked at the actual queries it was correct but when I checked the settings, the other, old connection was retained in the function.  A quick fix to replace and now I have a functioning connection.

My report was working fine, gatway was and still working "good to go", the report was on 2 hours schedule and did refresh three times before blessing me with this issue. no data source changed, nothign wrong with gateway, i have no other data source than sql server directquery "import". Tried to walk on yalls footsteps but so far no luck. where is this "creater" that i am supposed to move? I need help please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AHussain  Have you ruled out that its not just a temporary hiccup?  If a refresh or two have failed then I wouldn't start to panic yet unless you are getting an error specifically saying the data source can't be found.

In the case mentioned here, the directory holding the data source was changed.

@Anonymous

I already checked those. There are two other connections, my date table and my sql server. Both are used in multiple datasets and are all functioning at 100% . 

I only have 3 connections with the one being new. I have multiple other datasets pulling from folders in the same shared drive. They are all functioning at 100% as well.  I guess I will be kicking this up the line to Microsoft. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors