Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

felyoubi
Resolver I
Resolver I

Failed to connect to SQL Server

I am getting this error:

Details: "Microsoft SQL: The client was unable to establish a connection because of an error during connection initialization process before login. Possible causes include the following: the client tried to connect to an unsupported version of SQL Server; the server was too busy to accept new connections; or there was a resource limitation (insufficient memory or maximum allowed connections) on the server. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)"

SQL Server is setup on a custom port and I am able to access from my local using SSMS but not through PowerBI Desktop or Enterprise Gateway. Any idea?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Special announcement!

Those who are running their SQL Server Service on a custom port, this is what you need to do to be able to use Power BI:

Use the SQL Instance Name comma Port as follow: MySQLInstance,2422

That did it for me.

Regards,

Fahd

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have used hours on this problem, but luckily I found the solution that worked for me here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Schedule-Refresh-doesn-t-work-because-o...

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@felyoubi In powerbi desktop, when you connect to sql server database specity your port. So as below.

Capture.PNG

While adding the port number to the SQL instance name fixed the issue (Thank you for that), it didn't help me set the data source in PBI Service (Cloud). I don't think it support Port numbers.

Any clue on how to successfuly set up a gateway Data Source for auto refresh?

Thanks,

Fahd

Special announcement!

Those who are running their SQL Server Service on a custom port, this is what you need to do to be able to use Power BI:

Use the SQL Instance Name comma Port as follow: MySQLInstance,2422

That did it for me.

Regards,

Fahd

Hello all ,

I succesfully connect to SQL on desktop using MySQLInstance,2422 format , but whan I publish my pbix, I always get :

'You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new personal gateway or configure the data source for an existing data gateway.'

My Gateway name is MySQLInstance,2422 , I tried with MySQLInstance and MySQLInstance:2422 , nothing works .

I also mention that my connection in Power Bi is succesful and  my Gateway shows as 'Connected' ...

Thanks for your help  

ok , I found what my problem was , I misunderstood when I red the connection name must be the same in the gateway and in Power Bi Desktop.  What must match are the NAME OF THE SERVER and the name of the connection in Desktop.  So I matched ( case sensitive ) the name of the server and my Destop connection and TADA !!  works fine .

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors