Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mwiggins

Failed to Import Data - SQL Azure direct connection

First time attempting to make a direct connection to a SQL Azure DB from Power BI portal. I have verified the firewall rule for Azure services is set to ON in my database service. I've verified I can make connection to the DB from SSMS also.

Below is error message received:

Failed to import data

Do you want to delete the dataset and report?

Activity Id 302ed95c-f8ef-4dc7-9dc7-f9229dd96e6d

Status Code 200

Time Thu Oct 01 2015 16:25:11 GMT

Version 11.0.9168.162

Cluster URI https://wabi-west-us-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Any guidance is appreciated.

thanks,

Mark

7 REPLIES 7
mwiggins

I am now trying from Power BI Desktop to connect to the same SQL Azure database and get the following:

Unble to Connect

Details: "Microsoft SQL: Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=58; handshake=14931; "

I am able to connect fine with SSMS to the SQL Azure database from the same machine. Any ideas?

thanks,

Mark

Wow, I'm overwhemled by the responses. This is a great support forum.

@mwiggins by "verified the firewall rule is set to on" can I assume that the IP you set as a rule is not your internal network IP, but is the IP that your internet connection has, and that the user you are trying to connect to the database has permissions.

My initial impression is that this is a config issue and not a Power BI issue.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

By "verified the firewall rule is set to on" I meant the "Allow access to Azure services" (see attached) to connect from the Power BI portal. I did also add my NAT'd IP address to the firewall rule, to test the connection from SSMS and Power BI Desktop running on my local machine. SSMS is able to connect but PowerBI Desktop is not, see previous message.

thanks,
Mark

azure.png

@mwiggins

I read you message. Just because you can access from SSMS doesn't mean that Power BI Desktop or Service interacts with the database in the same way.

If you head here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2980233

You can start the guided walkthrough to troubleshoot connection issues. Select "Connection Timeout Errors" and the first error is pretty much exactly what you are looking at from the desktop. Click that and you'll end up here https://support2.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;3844&showpage=1

I'd start with walking through the troubleshooting steps listed here.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Eno1978,

Got connected successfully via Desktop. Reviewed the connection strings via the azure portal one more time and using copy/paste, must have made a typo on the first go round. Thanks for the links.

However, still have the same message/issue using the portal,  app.powerbi.com, trying to connect to the same Azure db.

thanks,

Mark

The service error is more difficult, I haven't seen that one specifically. I would recommend you submit a ticket via "Contact Support" here in tandem with seeing if anyone else has seen/resolved this. Support will most likely be able to tell you if this is a known issue, or may be able to steer you towards a solution quicker than this site for specific errors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors