Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmcreynolds
Helper I
Helper I

Excel 2016 "Get & Transform" and OneDrive

Trying to sort things out here.

I'm trying to build an Excel 2016 workbook with connections to OneDrive files AND external sources (e.g. Salesforce), have the connections scheduled to refresh (via PowerBI?), and share that file on OneDrive.

My question: Is OneDrive considered "on premises"? (I'm trying to determine whether or not I need a gateway - I think I do) I have a ticket open with PowerBI, but this terminology came up in our last e-mail exchange. The reason why I'm asking is that in Excel 2016, there's no way to differentiate between a OneDrive file and one that is local, say on my machine's hard drive- or is there?

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@cmcreynolds I believe you require either personal or enterprise gateway. I am pointing you to few articles that may help you understand on your requirements.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-excel-file-onedrive/

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-refresh-desktop-file-onedrive/

Thank you - but I've read those articles about 80 times.

I know WHAT the difference between on-premises and OneDrive is - for where my Excel file is stord AND where I get my data. But where I think the issue is, at least with the PowerBI person with my ticket, is that "Get & Transform" shows no differentiation between OneDrive and, say, a table on my desktop. (again, I am trying to query data from a website, Salesforce, and several files and folders on OneDrive)

I agree, @ankitpatira, I believe I require one of the gateways, but the person helping me says I do not.

One Drive may be off premises, but when a file on OneDrive is selected in "Get & Transform" - it's Power BI that automatically detects and notifies the user that a gateway is required.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors