Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error while combining different excel files

I want to upload excel files from a folder. All the files are in the below format.

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPGAnd I want the result in "PowerBI-Query editor" as below :

Capture3.JPG

But when I tried to combine and load the files using “Get Data”, datasource as a folder, I get the error either one of the files. I am not able to combine both the excel files either using “Unpivot Columns” or “Transpose”.

Any solution regarding the above issue ?

Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at the data i'm expecting you will have a number of problems to resolve once you get each excel file into your Queries section.  Have you done any data cleansing?  What cleansing have you done?

Here are the things you are likely going to need to do among any other challenges you find in your data:

• Remove the Top X rows to remove the fluff at the top
  • Copy Down values in your first couple of columns as the pivot table style data is likely to only exist in the first row that it is printed
  • You'll need to run an unpivot operation to get the data where you need it to be before merging
  • After merging you would need to run a pivot operation to get each category as a column header.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ross73312,

Thanks for reply. I have followed the below steps :

1. The excel files are fetched from a folder. So the GetData -> Folder-> Combine& EditCapture4.png

2. Choose "First File" as an example file. Click OK.

3. I removed top 6 rows from the "Transform Sample file from Test Report". Then "Use First rows as Headers" followed by "Unpivoting the Columns".  Now I am getting error related to 2nd excel files and not able to find data related to it.

1st excel sheet1st excel sheetI am not sure what step I need to follow to merge/ combine both the files without any errors. 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

My recommandation is to bring each file in one by one.  Get each one into the format you are happy with.  Do an append only after you have checked each file is now in the desired matching format.  This will let you step through the problems more easily if they arise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

In future we are expecting more excel files to be updated in the folder. So bringing each file one by one, transform each files and appending will be repetitive task and I am trying to avoid the same. 

Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on your screenshots, your files differ in same fashion.  From what i can see you need to remove the top X rows, but X is different in each file.  You might find you have to deal with each file individually to hand code the required transformations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Ross73312,

What if the "top X" rows are same for both the files? I am getting the same error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you used the UI to get you started, it would have created for you several functions under "Sample Query".  We can use these to form the basis of your solution.  The one labeled "Transform Sample File from <YourFolder>" is the first part to concentrate on.  If you click on it, you'll see that it has a Source step and then space to do your remove Top X rows.  So go ahead and add that in.  Then premote headers if needed.

Once doing this, you will see an error in your generated table (named after your folder).  For me, when i tested this, this was simply the "changed type" item at the end, which i removed.

Everytime you add a new file to your folder, you'll need to update the Power Query code in this table to look out for the new file.  I have seen threads in the past of people looking for dynamic way to do this.  I'm not sure of the specific solution on that, as I would be loathed to say it can't be done.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors