Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ridderbende

Enterprise Gateway won't update changed SSAS tabular schema information

When we deploy a SSAS tabular model, expose it to PowerBI through the gateway and build reports and dashboards on it, changes in the model won't come available in the PowerBI online editor. Even if we stop and start the PowerBI Gateway or delete and re-deploy the model (under the same name), we still get the old schema. So new (dimension) tables or new attributes to existing tables are not available and can't be used in existing reports/dashboards. Please, if anyone knows a solution or suitable work arround for this, other then re-adding the datasource and rebuilding the reports and dashboards, please let me know!

3 REPLIES 3

@ridderbende Is this issue on the original dataset that was published, or is it a copy of the dataset in a Content Pack that is not updating?

If it is the original, have you tried to publish a new PBIX file with the connection to the model?

Couple other troubleshooting questions:

Have you confirmed that the changes are showing in the Desktop file? Is it possible that you made the changes to the model in a local instance and did not deploy those changes to the "main" model that you are connected too?

Also check the actual model in SQL Management Studio to confirm that nothing got messed up in the deployment.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer, thanks for your quick response. We are not working with content packs and also not with pbix files. We created the reports/dashboard in the online editor not in the PowerBI Desktop client. We did confirm in SSMS that the model changes were succesfully deployed to the production instance.

@ridderbende Sorry for the confusion, I made an assumption based on "deploy" alot in the description... Interesting, wonder if something is broken with the connection in service.

Typically, I always use the Desktop for report building so that I have a backup. I don't know how much work you've already done in the Service, but have you tried the Desktop route?

Connect to your model live, and publish the Desktop file to the Service? This creates a dataset and will deploy and reports and the connection will be live...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors