Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tsanka
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Enterprise Gateway with multiple domains

Hi guys,

The case is the following:

- users log to Power BI using domain A;

- there is a SSAS (multidimensional) in domain B;

- an Enterprise Gateway is configured to connect to the SSAS in domain B. The gateway is online, the connection is okay;

- the refresh of a dataset (based on the SSAS in domain B) is set to use the EGW;

- the refresh is not successful, the error is "AnalysisServices: The following system error occurred: The user name or password is incorrect. "

A mapping of the effective user names A\username1 to B\username2  didin't solve the issue either.

Is anybody using EGW to conect to a datasource in a different domain? Or may be this is not supported yet?

Thanks

Tsanka

8 REPLIES 8
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Hi @Tsanka,

The UPN Mapping feature in the Gateway should enable you to map between a user in Domain A to a user in Domain B.

If you connecl to a SQL profiler what do you see? Is it beeing mapped correctly?

Thanks,
Dimah

Hello Dimah,

I'm having the same issue. I have also tired the user mapping changes for effective users. Still nothing. I have looked at the SQL Trace and there's no entry for the guest domain user login. Any help/suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi @Dimah,

Thanks for the input.

The SQL profiler shows that the Enterprise gateway connects using the correct username and domanin (B\username2). Obviously the issue is in the password.

I have tried both with and without user mapping - the result is the same: the EGW connects to the second domain with the username provided in the data source settings (B\username2 from my example), but the connection is refused with the message for incorrect username/password. The password is 100% correct as I use the same credentials for a RDC connection to the SQL server machine.

Best regards

Tsanka

Hello Tsanka,

I know this has been a while, but I'm curently experiencing the same issue. Multiple domains and one SSAS server in domain B. Did you resolve this ? How did you resolve it ? Your response will hugely be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi @jbernec,

Currently I do not have issues with this functionality (and I am constantly having such cases - PowerBI reports with live connection to SSAS in domain B accessed by users from domain A)

When defining the mapping I use the following syntax (assuming the SSAS is in domain B and the power BI user account is username@a.com):

2domains.png

Hope that helps.

mahimabedi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

is there any requirement to have trust enabled between these domains?

Thank you Tsanka. I will confirm my settings again.

Thanks again for the response.

You may have solved your issue already, but please check if the service account(s) you're using for SSAS/EGW have "Read" permission on the AD user in the second domain (B\username2).

I had an issue this week where one user had "Read" for "Authenticated Users" checked, and the other had not (and that user's connection failed).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors