Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Lunkan

Dynamics CRM Online database to big

Hi.

Im a beginner with power BI, and want to connect our MS crm online to PowerBi.

Our databes in MS CRM is to big and we have reached the limit. I can conenct both to PowerBI Desktop and Online but online i cant read in data and use the standard dashboards.

Is there any way to just read in data for example the last 12 month or so? Or to skip reading some of the tables in CRM.

Can this changes be done to the standard MS CRM plugin to PowerBI?

Regards Marcus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can check out this article I wrote:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-ultimate-microsoft-crm-dashboard-under-hour-greg-deckler?trk...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Lunkan I'm going to assume your are talking about the Dynamics CRM Content Pack. And I can only say that I feel your pain. We also apparently have a larger CRM online DB, and I have found no way to connect or make use of the Content pack, which is a bummer given the default dashboards would be useful to look at and use as a starting point.

I've only been able to connect via the desktop after removing the default relationship search in the options and choosing what I want and hooking things up again in the desktop... We've reached out to MS, but there doesn't seem to be any answer other than our backend is too large and the process times out.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for your reply. Do you know any way to get the Dynamics CRM Content pack to Power BI desktop?

If i understand correct it is only there we can do anything to the relationships to the DB.

You can check out this article I wrote:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-ultimate-microsoft-crm-dashboard-under-hour-greg-deckler?trk...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Lunkan 

1st - yes the desktop would be the only way you can pick and choose/alter the model from the CRM online datasource.

2nd -

You can currently connect to the content pack in the Desktop, the issue still exists. The only way I've been able to make it work is connecting to the CRM Online instance via the Odata Feed.

I've had to disable the automatic relationship detection first in order to get it to work, then select the tables i wanted to import.

To disable the relationships you can go to Options - Data Load - and UN-check all the default relationships.

Then you can at least browse and pull in the data you want from you CRM online instance.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
cwayne758
Helper IV
Helper IV

You can try to limit your query in the query editor before loading it into your data model. This is done by selecting 'edit' instead of 'load' after you've selected your data source. 

From there, extract year from your date field if necessary, then limit by the periods you need. 

Hope that helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors