Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jackofall
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dynamics 365 on-prem and administer user license for Power BI?

I read this thread and I still have questions. Set up log in

Currently I have been using my companys tennant to work in Desktop and publishing my reports on a PBI Dashboard. Parallell with this I have set up a laboration tenant Dynamics 365 on-prem. Those users do not get the PBI-icon in Dynamics personal Dashboard. I figure that is due to those user accounts do not have any PBI-licenses free or Pro. I have set up that I allow PBI in Settings / Admin / System /tab Reporting.

While I have been laborating in Office 365 Enterprise E3 Trial it is easy enough to set Power BI licence to a user. Is there any guide how to do this for the user accounts on Dynamics on-prem? Do I have to do it through the on-prems AD?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Jackofall,

Power BI uses Azure Active Directory (AAD) to authenticate users who login to the Power BI service. For those users to view Power BI report in Dynamics 365 on-prem, you would need to establish Azure Active Directory (AAD) in your environment.

And you can assign Power BI license to users in Office admin portal or use Powershell.
Power BI License Assignment
Automating Power BI License Assignment with PowerShell – Extra Options!

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Jackofall,

Power BI uses Azure Active Directory (AAD) to authenticate users who login to the Power BI service. For those users to view Power BI report in Dynamics 365 on-prem, you would need to establish Azure Active Directory (AAD) in your environment.

And you can assign Power BI license to users in Office admin portal or use Powershell.
Power BI License Assignment
Automating Power BI License Assignment with PowerShell – Extra Options!

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Lydia. Much appreciated as I can round up my efforts to complement SSRS RDL-reports in Dynamics with Power BI-reports I have been fiddling around with.

I have found a disturbing thread that Fin-ops Dynamics 365 on prem does not support Powerbi.com.

I really hope that I can publish Power BI Tiles in Dynamics on-prem without having to build up an on-prem Power BI-server.

@Jackofall

I think that the above article refers to that there is no out of the box feature for us to publish Power BI tiles to Dynamics on-prem. This blog provides a workaround.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors