Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BrentMcA
Regular Visitor

Dynamics 365 OData error with Power BI desktop

Hi, I am trying to connect Power BI desktop to Dynamics 365 Online. 

After putting in the correct credentials, it starts to load the metadata then fails with this message:

"OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid"

I am using the OData endpoint URL that I copied from the Instance Web API section in D365 Settings eg:  https://crmxxxxx.api.crm.dynamics.com/api/data/v9.0/.

This is a clean install of Dynamics 365 so there is no customisation of the schema.

I can return the metadata in a browser and nothing obvious stands out.

I have successfully connected to a version 8 instance of Dynamics 365 so I know that I have the right steps.

Is there a known issue with Power BI desktop (latest version) and the July 2017 release of Dynamics 365?

Regards

Brent McA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Excellent, that got it working.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

49 REPLIES 49

And...it is no longer working for me either.  Nothing I have changed. Smiley Sad

I have four other PowerBI D365 users that have verified this has stopped working without their having changed anything.  Still no word back from Microsoft support.

And...it is working for me again.  Nothing I have changed. Smiley Happy

Still needs to have the ...\v8.2

I am having trouble using v8.2 as i dont have v9 yet.

I have the lates june update of Power BI.

The error occurs if i try to add a new data source using the Dynamics 365 (Online).
However, if i use the recent data sources provided before the error occured, it work as before.

So for me i can still work. But, my coworkers are not so fortunate, they did not connect up before the problem occured and experience the error as provided in the post.

I hope this will be solved soon.

Same situation for me Smiley Indifferent

Same situation for me as well. I worked around the issue by hand-coding OData.Feed() queries to get the data, this worked well to design and create the reports. But now, the published data set cannot be refreshed and results in an error. I've opened a support ticket to try to get a resolution.

Same for us, we updated to 9.0 and all powerbi reports are broken now 😞 

8.2, 8.1, 9.0 all results in metadata feed errors..

Also so everyone knows I have older powerbi reports I built initially using the organization data service (example https://******.crm.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/OrganizationData.svc ) and it is still working, only the ones trying to use the API web service are broken.

I tried replacing the API with that url and it didnt work sadly, not sure how easy/hard it would be to change existing complex queries/reports to use that instead. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors