Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sdrevik
Frequent Visitor

Does Desktop Dev need to run on same machine as Gateway? What am I missing?

So, I had been trying to build a dashboard and publish from, let's call it, PC#1.   The dashboard being developed has SQL instance .\SQL2012, databasename "Test".    Dashboard is built, tested, and we publish.

Of course, the web published version can't see PC#1\SQL2012, catalog "Test", and it gives me an error, saying the gateway doesn't have that path.   Couldn't figure out any way to 're-key' the dashboard to the gateway.

But if I go to PC#2 (gateway), instance SQL2016, catalog "Production", and put Power BI desktop there, and publish from there, it gives me the option to add PC#2\SQL2016, catalog "Production" to the gateway server, and everything works.

But that means I have to do all of my dashboard development, testing, and publishing from my production database server???    That seems kind of crazy.   What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So here's basically how the gateways work, and why mine didn't work.  

You develop in desktop by first connecting to a server, in my case on a different machine, on a different network, but reachable by an IP/port, e.g,  50.60.70.80,9999, database name, and SQL credentials.

When I tried to publish to a web server also hosting a gateway, PBI would give the gateway those credentials (50.60.70.80,9999, DB, and SQL credentials).   however, due to the firewall port forwarding, the gateway couldn't connect locally to that SQL database.

BUT, when I used another machine as the gateway (foreign to the SQL server), where that connection string could work, when publishing, PBI sends the credentials to the gateway, gateway says, "sure, I can connect to that", and pop!  Worked easily.

(I had also explicitly added those credentials in apps.powerbi.com as part of my debugging to make a new data source on that gateway, so that may be a necessary prerequisite).

I hope this helps somebody in the future.  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors