Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

earg73
Frequent Visitor

DirectQuery in Power BI

I tried to load some views using DirectQuery mode and I get the error message "Impersonation is not supported in DirectQuery mode. Turn off impersonation or switch to import mode."  What does this mean?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@earg73 I was able to fix this error by ensuring that the user that i'm using to connect to the SQL server was specificity mapped as a user on the actual database contained within my view. even if your user is a admin make sure that they are also mapped to the db that your view is accessing. 

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

@earg73 I was able to fix this error by ensuring that the user that i'm using to connect to the SQL server was specificity mapped as a user on the actual database contained within my view. even if your user is a admin make sure that they are also mapped to the db that your view is accessing. 

Business Intelligence Architect / Consultant

I'm getting the same issue.  Let me ask if the circumstances are similar:  When importing (get data), I'm logging onto a SQL server database on a local machine or network server. I have to specify credentials for logon (impersonation) because the default for login username uses a concatenation of computername and username (mycomputermyusername)instead of mynetworkname\myusername.  I have to do this for SSIS and SSAS as well, but they have no issues with impersonation. 

My thought is that import is set up to allow impersonations, but direct query is not.  Unless I can set the default for the login username, it looks like the only way to bring in the data is by import.

Any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking that perhaps it has something to do with the EffectiveUsername property setting, which is explained pretty nicely in the knowledge base (LINK).

Have you verified that this setting is working properly?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors