Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abehrmann
Helper II
Helper II

Direct query questions

I am in the process of switching a operation software they have proposed using direct query from a sql database for my data needs. 

This is the diagram they have supplied me with to explain how they will provide me with the data. 

I have limited database knowlege, can someone explain this to me

Also if im using direct query do i need to set up my own sqldatabase or can i connect directly to the distrubution database? 

Data Replication.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
abehrmann
Helper II
Helper II

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/replication/transactional/transactional-re...

This link explains the process that our data is being pushed, 

Is a sql database required or can i connect direct query to the distributor?

Thanks 

View solution in original post

@abehrmann,

Do you have read access to the distribution database in the distributor? If you have, you can directly connect to the distribution database in Power BI Desktop using DirectQuery mode and create report in Power BI.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
abehrmann
Helper II
Helper II

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/replication/transactional/transactional-re...

This link explains the process that our data is being pushed, 

Is a sql database required or can i connect direct query to the distributor?

Thanks 

@abehrmann,

Do you have read access to the distribution database in the distributor? If you have, you can directly connect to the distribution database in Power BI Desktop using DirectQuery mode and create report in Power BI.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors