Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bselby
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query - SAP HANA Database

Good afternoon,

I have a question about the Direct Query mode of the SAP HANA Database connection.

Creating and using the connection in the first instance works perfectly - I can connect to Calculation Views stored on our HANA databases, design dashboards and publish them.

My issue is that once that initial connection is made, it cannot be changed or edited. This is a massive burden when trying to replicate the same dashboard across multiple databases, because the layout has to be built from scratch again in a new dashboard with a new connection.

As an example, we have a sales dashboard looking at a Calc. View for our Australian database. We'd like the same dashboard for our New Zealand database. I'd expect to be able to create a copy of the dashboard file and change the connection to look at the New Zealand Calc. View, especially because all the fields are the same. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do this.

Does anybody have a solution? Data Source Settings only allows me to change the connection credentials.

HANA Direct Query Power BI.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@bselby,

Please go to File > Options and settings ->Options > DirectQuery, then select the option "Treat SAP HANA as a relational source". After you create Power BI report with this option, you can make a copy of PBIX file and change connection to views.
directquery-sap-hana_01a.png

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@bselby,

Please go to File > Options and settings ->Options > DirectQuery, then select the option "Treat SAP HANA as a relational source". After you create Power BI report with this option, you can make a copy of PBIX file and change connection to views.
directquery-sap-hana_01a.png

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for your help Lydia, I wasn't aware of that setting.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors