Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bham
Regular Visitor

Direct Query Failing to Filter Strings With Apostrophes (ODBC: ERROR [42000])

I'm connected to a BigQuery database and am using Direct Query to access the data. When I load in a field of strings with apostrophes in some of the values (eg. "Larry's Diner"), everything will initially load fine into a visual, but when you use a visual level filter to select on of  the apostrophed names, this error occurs:
Release:
October 2018

Product Version:
2.63.3272.40461 (18.10) (x64)

Error Message:
OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] ODBC: ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][BigQuery] (70) Invalid query: Syntax error: Expected ")" but got string literal 'S BAKERY' at [63:42].

It certainly seems like this is a Power BI problem, since BigQuery runs the same queries no problem on its own. So my questions are: is this a known Power BI issue and is there an available workaround that doesn't involve removing the apostrophes from the values?

5 REPLIES 5
gjohnson
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft ,

We have also come up against this issue. Having a timeframe for a fix would help us to determine the proper work around.

Thanks,

Georgette

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@bham,

The engineer is working on a fix for this issue.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft ,

We found this issue affecting our company as well. What's the general timeframe to have a fix like this rolled out?

Thanks,

Nick

Awesome! Thanks for all your help.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@bham,

I can reproduce a similar error as yours, I have reported this issue internally:CRI 90186123, and will post back once I get any updates.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors