Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bpearce
Advocate I
Advocate I

Data Gateway - won't allow merge of tables from different sources

In Power BI Desktop I have a Power Query that pulls LocationDim from SQL Server and another Query that pulls a list of locations from an Excel file. Both queries load to the data model. I can publish this model & have both tables refresh via an On Premise Data Gateway. However, if I modify the LocationDim query & perform a Merge function (inner join to filter LocationDim by the locations in the Excel list), this model cannot be refreshed by the Data Gateway. Instead on the Power BI / Refresh Schedule page it tells me that I need to install a Data Gateway for the data sources specified in the model. 

Does the Data Gateway not support mixing data from two different sources defined in the Gateway?

31 REPLIES 31

Good to hear the problem has been acknowledged.

Yes, dataset was set up months ago & was running fine till the bug. Then I made several tweeks in search of resolution. Current state we are limping along as I described above. Afraid to mess with it any more less I lose the ability to manually refresh.

By the way I am a huge fan of Power Update - especially in times like these where the Microsoft Gateway is ailing. Always good to have options... but in full disclosure even that product is struggling with pbix models and the latest Microsoft updates... Rock solid with xlsx models... 

Hi all,

This issue has been reported internally. The PG team are working on the fix now. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Suffering the same problem here, would also like a date for the fix.

As with others on the thread, setting up the file rather than the folder as the gateway data source is not an option because this is a daily file supplied by an external vendor which has a date in the filename.

Same issue.....We appends 2 tables, one from an SQL server setup in our Gateway and one from an Excel file saved in Sharepoint/Onedrive. All is working fine in P-BI Desktop but in P-BI web the refresh doesn't work. Is the fix coming soon?

Hi all,

The original issue gateway not available when using Table.NestedJoin function in Query Editor has been fixed for a long time. 

Please post a new thread regarding the issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Can you please clarify exactly what was fixed and when?

I was still experiencing exactly the same symptoms as the earlier posts, (i.e. mashup with excel and Sql data fails when excel data accessed via folder data source but works when accessed via file data source) in December 2017.

I will check our Gateway version when back at work after Xmas.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Had the same problem. All sources worked well (SSAS+SQL+Excel from Sharepoint folder) until I combined. The solution was to enable the "Allow user's cloud data sources to refresh through this gateway cluster" on the gateway. Note that I do not use the folder option, but connect to files on sharepoint. 

Gateway.JPG

Hi @databubble,

The original issue is get data from SQL Server and a folder (it is a network shared folder on customer side) which contains several Excel/CSV files in desktop, then in Query Editor create a new query merge those two queries use Table.NestedJoin function. After publish the report to service, the gateway is not available. 

The fix is released before December. I would suggest you download and install the latest gateway then test again. If you have any issue, please create a new thread. As this thread is a old and long. Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

We have been on Gateway Version Number = 14.16.6524.1 since some time after Dec 11th. I was seeing the problem before 11th so hopefully now fixed - I will retest. 

Before that we were on the October release (sorry I don't have a version #) - do you know whether the issue was still present in the October release?

How's that issue going on? It's really a pain in the ass since a lot of users prefer Power BI just for its outstanding compatibility. I encountered this issue when

@v-qiuyu-msft wrote:

Hi all,

This issue has been reported internally. The PG team are working on the fix now. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

merging e Azure data and SQL Server data together. Could anyone inform us when this "bug" fixed?

Hi!

We experience exactly the same issue. Without any modification on our PBIX, as from Wednesday suddenly PowerBI web says there is no installed gateway. As soon as we remove merge of SQL data to Excel data, the gateway is "back on". Privacy organisational. Each source separately works fine, and also works fine in single PBIX until merged. Merge step kills it.

Enterprise gateway, error message is identical to what bpearce screenshotted already.

Tried to clear permissions, but actually the issue is reproducable even if we start from blank PBIX, and just simply add two sources and merge them.

Any ideas?

Jiri

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors