Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sguenther
Advocate II
Advocate II

Credentials for data with disabled refresh

Hey guys,

When I disable the "Enable the refresh of this query" option for a table (in my case imported from a local .xls file) then why does the PowerBI Service need the Windows credentials for that file (which doesn not work)? The Service should not refresh that table and therefore should not run into an error due to this. As far as I know that's how it was in the past, but now I can't update (only other not disabled data sources) any reports built like this anymore. In PowerBI Desktop this works fine however (even on computers without the local file available).

Any idea

1 REPLY 1
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

As far as I can tell, any datasets that use the same source and credentials will literally use the same recorded credentials, such that if something goes wrong with those credentials (such as you getting locked out of the account for some reason and the credentials being denied because of it, or if your database was briefly offline or otherwise inaccessible during a recent attempted refresh), it goes wrong for all datasets that use them. They will all show the same error even if they are not set to auto-refresh because the credentials are still used by that inactive connection. The one dataset on which you have turned off auto-refresh still references the same credentials even if it is not actively using them to access data, because it did use them to access the data in the first place and will need to if you ever manually refresh it, so it is merely mirroring the error message it shares with every other dataset that references those credentials.

The good news is that in my experience you can also fix them for all datasets at once. If you re-enter them and re-enable refresh on one set, the rest will pick up the fixed credentials when you move to re-enable their refresh. There is usually a brief delay though when you view each dataset's refresh settings, where it may still momentarily claim that there is a problem with the credentials before it catches up and that warning goes away. So you should be able to re-enable refresh, or to manually refresh everything after entering the credentials only once on one of the disabled datasets.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors