Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bhoobala_P
Frequent Visitor

Connectivity to third party data sources

Dear Team, need your help on the following.

Does Power BI connect natively to:

• Google Drive / Sheets
  • Facebook for Business Ads Manager
  • Double Click

If there is direct connectivity possible, can you please explain how is the same accomplished?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Bhoobala_P,

Firstly, it is not possible to use the sharable link (without output=xls) to connect with Power BI. If you worry about the security issue,  you may need to use Google's oAuth2 API, however, there are no official articles or blogs stating  this method. An idea about connecting to Google sheets in Power BI has been submitted in this link, please vote it up.

Secondly, I am afraid that you are not able to directly connect to Facebook Ad Manager in Power BI,  there is also an idea about adding connectivity for Facebook Ad Manager, please vote it up.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
michaelbilling
Helper II
Helper II

@Bhoobala_P @v-yuezhe-msft 

For the Facebook Campaing Manager Ads data - this is possible.

I just released a new version of my open sourced Facebook Ads connector.

The new release includes support for scheduled refresh on powerbi.com

A ready-to-go connector is available for download on my sponsor Scitylana's website, https://www.scitylana.com/connectors

Link to Gihub is available here too.

Bhoobala_P
Frequent Visitor

Dear Lydia,

Thanks for the response. 

I had already tried to connect with Google Sheets with Power BI as described by you. For publicly published sheets, it was never a problem to establish the connection.

However, I am not able to connect to a Google Sheet without publishing it to the web, something for which I have given specific permission.

(Eg., https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HIjhtX4xL6j5jzLQtv0-nHxpeRdyY4I9-it7agpaqss/edit#gid=6883543... is a google sheets link which I have not published publicly and only users with permissions can view them).

Is it possible to use the sharable link (without output=xls) to connect with Power BI, without getting the following result?

connecting to google sheets (private link)connecting to google sheets (private link)

Facebook integration with Power BI just works fine. But we are required to connect with Facebook for Business Ad manager. You can have a good look at it in the short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lATE0n10j34

Does Power BI connect with Ad Manager, the same way as it does with Facebook app?

Please suggest...

P.S.: I have upvoted for DoubleClick posts.

Hi @Bhoobala_P,

Firstly, it is not possible to use the sharable link (without output=xls) to connect with Power BI. If you worry about the security issue,  you may need to use Google's oAuth2 API, however, there are no official articles or blogs stating  this method. An idea about connecting to Google sheets in Power BI has been submitted in this link, please vote it up.

Secondly, I am afraid that you are not able to directly connect to Facebook Ad Manager in Power BI,  there is also an idea about adding connectivity for Facebook Ad Manager, please vote it up.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello. Power BI does not connect natively to any of those sources. As a workaround, you can consider connecting directly to those sources through an external connector. I use windsor.ai to connect all those sources directly to PBI 

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Bhoobala_P,

Firstly, you can connect to files on Google Drive/Sheets from Power BI Desktop via Get Data->Web entry. Assume that you connect to a Excel file, open it in Google Sheet, go to File / Publish to Web,  then change the selection from Web Page to Microsoft Excel.  Copy the generated link and input the URL in Get Data->Web Window of Power BI Desktop, then enter your Google Drive/Sheet account and Password. For more details, please review the following screenshots.
1.png2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

Secondly, do you get expected result when using Get Data->Facebook entry to connect to your facebook data source?
5.PNG

Thirdly, based on my research, it seems that importing Doubleclick web URLs to Power BI Desktop doesn’t work as expected. Regarding to this issue, please vote it in the following links. As a temporary workaround for your issue, you can connect to Doubleclick data source from Excel and load data, then connect to the Excel file from Power BI Desktop.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/8470111-doubleclick-campaign-mana...
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9274371-doubleclick-campaign-doub...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors