Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jadams0304
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to a Plex Database from Power Pivot in MS Excel

Hello,

Connecting to Plex or even using the tables is completely new to me.  I'm a SQL novice, but pick up on things quickly. 

I'm trying to connect Power Pivot in MS Excel to Plex like I have been able to do for MS Access databases.  However, I'm receiving the error below:

powerbi1.png

PlexConnectionError.PNG

I'm able to actually connect to Plex, because you can see above that I'm pulling in what looks like 6,397 tables.  The problem is that I'm not getting any columns.  There should be a preview of the table where the error message is showing.  Below is the Advanced Editor statement and what I see in the Query editor:

powerbi2.png

PlexConnectionError2.PNG

Any help would be greatly appreciated even if it is just assumptions or guesses that might lead me in the correct direction.

My understanding is that nobody else is using MS PowerPivot or MS PowerQuery to connect to Plex.

Thanks,

James

9 REPLIES 9
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jadams0304,

I can't open your pictures, so I don't see the error message. You import the data from Plex Database from Other Sources, and connect to Plex Database, right?

1.PNG

PowerPivot for Excel can import data from a wide variety of sources. This article explains the kinds of data sources you can use. Please check it, the error maybe caused by your unsupported database.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks for your reply Angelia.  I'm using the ODBC connection option.  I downloaded the ODBC driver from Plex our ERP provider.  I'm using their 64-bit driver, because I have 64-bit Windows and 64-bit MS Office.  Below are the pictures:

PlexConnectionError1.PNGPlexConnectionError2.PNG

Hi @jadams0304,

Please check your 64 version driver's path, if it is located in the %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64 folder. Please it is, please put it in this path.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Angelia,

I uninstalled the driver and re-installed it in the directory you specified, but I'm still receiving the same error message.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

James

Hi @jadams0304,

It's werid, it may be caused by driver. I will post the update if I have new idea.

Thanks,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft,

Please see the email below that I recently sent Plex:Plex1.PNG

plex2.PNG

plex3.PNG

plex4.PNG

plex5.PNG

plex6.PNG

plex7.PNG

Hello I’ve been Able to connect Plex ERP with both Excel and Power BI

I am very new the the forum here and don’t know how to direct message you - but if you would like to connect so we can discuss the steps I’ve taken I would be more then happy thanks very much and have a great Evening

Jesse Caldwell

Hi Jesse
I new here but I am very interested to see how the connection is made between Power BI and PLEX ERP.

how can I send you a private message with my email address?

Thank you

Javier

Hello Angelia, thanks for helping me work through this.

Below is where the driver is installed:

C:\Program Files\Plex\PlexReportDataSource

Should I reinstalled it in this location?

%systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64

Is it possible for me to just cut or copy the folder on the C: drive and paste it into the "SysWoW64" folder?

Thanks,

James

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors