Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Layorzi

Connecting to a DB that refreshes

Hi all,

I will simply describe the situation:
I have a website that gets information once a day (updates at midnight).
I want my Power BI to update the data it contains every day, while keeping the editions i made, the measures i wrote and the calculated columns.
Even if it is only possible for me every day to manually download the data and create a new table but the measures, columns and editions will be saved.

Is there any manual? or any way to do it?

Regards, 

Layor.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Layorzi in power bi desktop or service when you do Refresh either manually or scheduled your data model is preserved ( ie all your tables columns and measures) only data is refreshed. It is full refresh that is all your data will be replaced with what's in data source.

View solution in original post

@Layorzi I would suggest you think of this in two steps.

1) Write your website data to a "location" (this could be database table, excel spreadsheet, flat file, etc)

2) Build your business logic in Power BI Desktop

This approach allows you to keep your data seperate and append your new data into a file/table. Then, all you would need to do in Power BI is schedule a refresh which would include the new data.

All your business logic - measures/calc columns will stay the same, and the underlying data will change per your process.

Keeping your data seperate also allows you to access your data via other tools if you need to in the future.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Layorzi

Hi Guys!

Thank you very much for the help.
What i did eventually was to go to Edit Query.
Then go to the first step --> Source.
Double click and add the new page (in my case it is ok, i do it manually once a week).
And everything is stored!

Once again, Thanks!

@Layorzi I would suggest you think of this in two steps.

1) Write your website data to a "location" (this could be database table, excel spreadsheet, flat file, etc)

2) Build your business logic in Power BI Desktop

This approach allows you to keep your data seperate and append your new data into a file/table. Then, all you would need to do in Power BI is schedule a refresh which would include the new data.

All your business logic - measures/calc columns will stay the same, and the underlying data will change per your process.

Keeping your data seperate also allows you to access your data via other tools if you need to in the future.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Layorzi in power bi desktop or service when you do Refresh either manually or scheduled your data model is preserved ( ie all your tables columns and measures) only data is refreshed. It is full refresh that is all your data will be replaced with what's in data source.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors