Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

guymessickaia

Connecting to Deltek Vision or Cosential?

Hi, does anyone have experience with connecting Power BI to Deltek Vision ERP system and/or Cosential DRM system? thanks

21 REPLIES 21
njanney

Would this be applicable to Deltek Vantagepoint? Has anyone connected it to power bi?

Yes we can connect Vantagepoint with PowerBI as well.

https://bitechsol.com/financial-analytics-for-deltek-vision/

Thanks

Yes, it is possible to connect Power BI to an ODBC connection if your database is hosted in the Deltek Cloud.  I have made it work with both Deltek Vision and Vantagepoint. 

danielpaduck
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

You would just need to set up a data gateway on their production server so that you can query the database.    I would use standard SQL login and not Windows Auth to query the database.  

Dan

danielpaduck
Helper III
Helper III

Hi, I have a lot of experience connecting Power BI to Deltek Vision/Vantagepoint. What are you looking to do?

Any experience connecting Deltek CostPoint to Power BI?

Hi - sorry,  I do not. However, I would imagine it being similar - ODBC connector. 

Apologies for hijacking this post - I've setup an on-prem gateway to connect our Hybrid Data ODBC connection that we have into Deltek Vantagepoint but I'm not getting the setting correct.  I've tried all sorts of combinations but to no avail.
The connectiomn in Power BI itself via ODBC is working perfectly but I now need to schedule a data refresh on the reports using an on-prem gateway.  Is this possible?

Yes, sorry for the delay.  Shoot me an email at danielpaduck@gmail.com

Hi - I was able to figure it out. I was trying to set up data connections with Deltek Flex. 

@danielpaduck 

I've been tasked to create dataflows to our on-premises Deltek Vision databases. I can connect directly to the underlying SQL Server tables as I've done with other on-premises databases.

However, was looking to see if you or anyone has other preferred methods like using their API. It appears that there isn't a Certified Connection for it.

I'm interested in what you've done if you have a chance. Thanks!

If the client is using Deltek Flex First then the only way is to use the Hybrid Data Connection/ODBC. I use the api for coding Webservices and data integrations between systems. Thanks. 

@danielpaduck 

Thanks. The client is using on-premises Deltek Vision, version 7.6. Any suggestions for connecting with that setup?

Thanks

Aaron

You could just connect directly to through SQL Server then. Thanks! 

If your database is on prem then you could just either use an AD account or SQL account and just write your queries against the database. 

With Deltek's initiative to move Vision clients to SaaS and VantagePoint, has anyone been able to connect PowerBI to Vision and VantagePoint SaaS? Thank you.

Hi, 

I have been able to connect to both Vision/Vantagepoint in Deltek Cloud.  Deltek allows you to do this with the Data Direct ODBC connection.  The client needs to be on Flex or higher tier.  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Cheers! 

Within Power BI Desktop, you can just enter the server name and pass through either your Windows credentials (if you have db access rights) or a username/pw. Once published, the destination server should be setup using an On-Premise Gateway. It'll pick it up from your connection in the pbix file and online to schedule it, you'll just need to make sure to "map" it to the destination under the gateway and it'll use the connection string there so you don't need to worry about it using your credentials or db username/pw.

Hi

We priovide Power BI services for Deltek clients and have number of solutions developed for Deltek Vision/Vantagepoint

https://bitechsol.com/financial-analytics-for-deltek-vision/

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors