Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MaxW
Advocate II
Advocate II

Connect Power BI Desktop to PostgreSQL database through SSH tunnel

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to a PostgreSQL datasource from Power BI Desktop. 

The database is accesed from a Linux server that I tunnel into using an SSH key file. From that server I connect to the postgres host via username and password.

I can query this database from PGAdmin or Putty Terminal on the same laptop as Power BI desktop, so in theory I should be able to query it from Power BI.

I presume I can't connect to this using the standard postgres connector, but maybe I can connect using an ODBC connection string?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Max,

I'm facing the same exact same problem. Could you resolve it in the past?

Thanks for your time.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@MaxW,

What is the error message do you get when using the standard postgre connector in Power BI Desktop?

Besides, you are able to connect to postgresql database using an ODBC connection. There is an example for your reference in the following blog.

http://jaykilleen.com/posts/connect-powerbi-to-a-remote-postgresql-database-encrypted-with-ssl

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

My report is connected to PostgreSQL database using ODBC connector and everything works fine.

Now I want to change Import Mode into Direct Query.

Is it possible to connect via ODBC in DQ mode?

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not quite sure which IP I should be using, but using the standard connector and either the db host address or the actual Postgres IP address I just get a connection timeout: 

'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'

I've potentially just made some progress; If I open a tunnel to the db host address using PuTTY and forward the postgres port to 127.0.0.1 I get 'PostgreSQL Exception while reading from Stream.'  I get this error instantly regardless of the command timeout setting.

For the ODBC connection I had found that blog post, but I'm still unsure how to use it, as it doesn't mention a connection string and I can't find any reference for what to do with my SSH key file..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors