Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining files from SharePoint Folder using Dataflows

After the January update, dataflows support the use of SharePoint Folder through copying the query from Power BI Desktop (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-dataflows-january-updates/). However, I cannot get this to work when combining multiple csv files. 

The "Combine Files" function automatically creates a sample query and I've tried copying these over without any luck.

Have anyone tried this and succeeded?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on my test, after we combine files in Power BI Desktop, we would need to replicate all the queries, functions, parameter to DataFlow by copying Power Query code and create Group.
desktop.PNGDataflow.PNGda.PNGCapture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Based on my test, after we combine files in Power BI Desktop, we would need to replicate all the queries, functions, parameter to DataFlow by copying Power Query code and create Group.
desktop.PNGDataflow.PNGda.PNGCapture.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft 

Thank you for the explanations and screenshots.

I see that you managed to copy/paste parameter and Dataflow recognizes your code as Parameter of Query.

How did you do to add parameter to Dataflow please  ?

Thank you!

A.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I just copied the code from the advanced editor in Power BI Desktop into a blank query in Dataflows. 

hope it helps 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Problem was that the code I pasted was recognized as a Table and not as a Parameter.

It transformed

#"Exemple de fichier" meta [IsParameterQuery=true, BinaryIdentifier=#"Exemple de fichier", Type="Binary", IsParameterQueryRequired=true]

to

let
  Requête = #"Exemple de fichier" meta [IsParameterQuery = true, IsParameterQueryRequired = true, Type = type binary, BinaryIdentifier = #"Exemple de fichier"]
in
  Requête

I deleted the Dataflow to start again.

This time I began by pasting the Sample File code instead of the Parameter code. Then I pasted the code of the Parameter and it worked. I did this exercise beforce without deleting the Dataflow and it wasn't working.

Thank you for your help and your quick reply 🙂

A.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft

I think the groups solved it.

Thanks! 🙂

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@v-yuezhe-msft Lydia, How exactly did you do this? I am trying to copy the M code from each entity into it's own blank query in dataflows, but when I try to save each, I receive an error about missing a module reference and it will not allow me to save it, to add another. I can only click "Go to query" or "Cancel." If I cancel, it deletes all my work. What am I missing? What do you mean by creating a group?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shelley All the queries and parameter must be part of the same entity in dataflows. You do this by pressing "get data" when editing an entity. 

Inside the entity you can create groups of queries by right-clicking the "blank field to the left" and pressing new group. The groups should be identical to the groups created in Power BI Desktop. 

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous THANK YOU! I finally figured out how to do it, thanks in large part to you. Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors