Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bdelaney
Frequent Visitor

Cannot remove AS connector from Power BI portal

I'm trying to move our On-prem server to the Enterprise Gateway. I uninstalled the old AS connector (which was working btw) and installed the new gateway. It configured correctly and gave me a green success notification at the end.

A few minutes later I went to our Power BI portal and tried to create a new datasource. When I click on connect, there is the old AS connector still sitting there. And I cannot remove it. And I cannot get the page to refresh and display the new Ent Gateway either.

If I click on the old AS connector entry it gives me a big failing error saying that the SSAS connector appears to be offline.

Duh, yep, I know that. I took it offline!

So, what is happening? Is the pipe between Azure services and the Power BI portal just queued or something? Will I have to wait a long time to see this refresh?!

After battling so hard to get the AS connector installed, I was loathe to replace it. But the advice from MS seems to point in that direction for sure.

8 REPLIES 8
bdelaney
Frequent Visitor

I did finally figure out that the new Enterprise Gateway is configured in a totally different way. Settings/Manage Gateways. Really obvious unless you are used to configuring data sources the old way.

Still, no idea how to remove the old data source.

Hi, Im having the same issue. Have you managed to resolve this? Ive created all the data sources within the Manage Gateway portal but can view these in when i want to connect to AS.

No, have found no way to remove the connector. And I'm about to 'decomission' another Analysis Server connector and I expect that will be similarly bound till eternity to my Power BI service. Hope someone on the team is aware of this!

@bdelaney Did you submit a bug? As a side note, you don't need to decomission an AS Connector... you just install the Enterprise Gateway on the same machine, and your connections will automatically move over to the new Enterprise Gateway.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-upgrade-as-connector/

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer no, I did not submit a bug. maybe I'll wait and see what happens when I 'decomission.'

I'll look at the upgrade link today.That would be very smooth indeed if it works like that.

Is it my imagination, or has the preview Enterprise Gateway actually been updated in the last few weeks?

I just downloaded it earlier today and installed it on top of an AS connector. Before I thought I found that impossible. And consequently, the two are running side by side right now. Weird.

@bdelaney I think they updated it, but the side by side installation should have worked from day one...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer I would like to submit a bug. It is reproducible and has to do with the Enterprise Gateway.

I can consistently crash it.

Where do I submit the bug?

Nevermind, I found this page after using the 'Contact Support' choice on the main support page.

Request support through Office 365 Admin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors