cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gvanbrunt Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can we update the dataset without deleting and adding again?

I found a better work around for anyone that sees this. Instead of removing all calculated columns, add a new "fake" one. This schema is updated and all data shows up after a refresh.

Deborah1982 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Are you saying that if I have a calculated field, there is no way I can update them with new data?

For example:

I have an excel with 4 tabs: 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016

I have uploaded those 4 tabs in BI.  I have append all tables into 1 big table.  So I have all data from year 2013-2016.

I have added some columns with calculations.  For example to calculate total profit, total proc price, etc......

This is working perfectly.

I have now next tab in xls: 2017

I have uploaded this in BI, and append in the big table.  This was all working BUT the extra fields I had created does not contain any data for 2017 (total sales, total profit, etc....). 

How can I change this without deleting the whole column and create this again?

There are a lot of charts and tables created with special filters, if I have to create the columns all over again, each time I have new data, it will consume a lot of time, if I take the wrong title, all my charts/tables will be corrupted.

Do you have a  solutions for me?

Kind regards

Deborah

Deborah1982 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Are you saying that if I have a calculated field, there is no way I can update them with new data?

For example:

I have an excel with 4 tabs: 2013 - 2014 - 2015 - 2016

I have uploaded those 4 tabs in BI.  I have append all tables into 1 big table.  So I have all data from year 2013-2016.

I have added some columns with calculations.  For example to calculate total profit, total proc price, etc......

This is working perfectly.

I have now next tab in xls: 2017

I have uploaded this in BI, and append in the big table.  This was all working BUT the extra fields I had created does not contain any data for 2017 (total sales, total profit, etc....). 

How can I change this without deleting the whole column and create this again?

There are a lot of charts and tables created with special filters, if I have to create the columns all over again, each time I have new data, it will consume a lot of time, if I take the wrong title, all my charts/tables will be corrupted.

Do you have a  solutions for me?

Kind regards

Deborah

Highlighted
car16 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Does anyone know if it's possible to delete columns from your existing excel source data that you are then using in Power BI?  I have imported an excel file with several columns of information that I do not need in Power BI.  The employee who owns the excel file wants to delete several columns.  When I delete the columns from excel and then refresh in Power BI, I receive an error saying I can't refresh because "the column can't be found".  If I delete it out of Power BI as well, I receive the same error.

Any thoughts on this?