Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jertel

Can't get Power BI to accept windows login for sql credentials

I am trying to get Power BI to use windows logins to access our sql server connection rather than a direct sql login.  Direct sql login woks fine through the gateway.  Windows login does not.  We have a local domain at our office that our users log in under and our servers are on amazon cloud on a separate domain.  How to get amazon sql cloud domain to allow windows login credentials from an 'untrusted' domain (this is the error in power BI trace.  login is from an untrusted domain and therefore fails.  Network admin says the only way to create a true trust between those 2 domains would be to rebuild the 2 domain controllers which he obviously doesn't want to do.

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@jertel,

Are you able to connect to SQL Server using Windows login via SQL Server Management Studio in the gateway machine? If you still get same error, I am afraid that you should establish a trusted relatsionship between the two domains, which is necessary for Windows login.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

No if she tried to connect via ssms on her windows it would be the domain her local box is on which isn't the domain the sql box is on.  Power BI has the credentials to use that are valid on the sql box but it doesn't appear to be trying to log in it just instantly fails without a delay. Is there no way for windows login to work without the cloud domain trusting the local domain?

That is what I thought the issue was but I am just hoping there's some way around it as the network admin says the only way to create the trust is to basically redo the domain controllers.

@jertel

Yes. This is a Windows authentication issue in SQL Server. You would need to create trust relation between two domains to make Windows login work.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jertel

I am trying to get Power BI to use windows logins to access our sql server connection rather than a direct sql login.  Direct sql login woks fine through the gateway.  Windows login does not.  We have a local domain at our office that our users log in under and our servers are on amazon cloud on a separate domain.  How to get amazon sql cloud domain to allow windows login credentials from an 'untrusted' domain (this is the error in power BI trace.  login is from an untrusted domain and therefore fails.  Network admin says the only way to create a true trust between those 2 domains would be to rebuild the 2 domain controllers which he obviously doesn't want to do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors