Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avk
Frequent Visitor

Can't connect to SQL Server on AWS EC2

Hi All,

We have a SQL Server installed on AWS EC2 instance, we are trying to explore the possibility of having a secure connection from the Power Bi service to SQl Server on AWS. We are not exploring AWS Redshift so the existing connector to Redshift is not something we can use. Data sources on Power BI service gives options to connect to on SQL Server on Azure. Is there a way to connect to Sql Server on AWS EC2 from Power BI Service?

Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@avk,

It is not possible to directly connect to SQL Server in Power BI Service,  you can firstly connect to SQL Server in Power BI Desktop. create reports in Power BI Desktop, then publish the reports to Power BI Service following the guide in  the article below.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-upload-desktop-files/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
avk
Frequent Visitor

not able to find a way to connect from Power BI servcie to Sql Server on AWS instance. The sql server is not a RDS on AWS but on a EC2 instance, I was able to connect to Sql Sever from Power Bi desktop but the main intention is to connect using Power BI, is this possible. Please advise.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Did you find a way to connect to SQL Server on AWS EC2 instance?
How are you refreshing content?
Have you installed the on-premises gateway on the AWS EC2 instance or on a local server machine?

@Anonymous Did you manage to connect?

What settings do you need to schedule a refresh from AWS?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Maybe, would depend on your setup in AWS and the firewall rules that are in place. Would have to get the connection string correct for connecting remotely to the SQL Server. Or, you could just use Azure and make your life easy... 😉

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your reply , I'm able to connect to the SQL Server  instance on AWS  from Power Bi desktop, I'm using the connection string as ServerIP\SqlServerInstanceName,1433, however to have this connection go through, I have to open the port 1433 on the firewall have public access.

I'm trying to explore if Power BI service can connect  to SQL Server on AWS EC2 without having to generate a file from the dekstop first and publish that to the service. Is this possible? Does Power Bi service support connectivity to Sql Servers on other clouds?

I wish we could go with Azure and make life but cannot.

@avk,

It is not possible to directly connect to SQL Server in Power BI Service,  you can firstly connect to SQL Server in Power BI Desktop. create reports in Power BI Desktop, then publish the reports to Power BI Service following the guide in  the article below.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-upload-desktop-files/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors