cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bftcpa Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Can't Log into Data Catalog from Within Excel

I am using Office 365 ProPlus on an O365 E3 plan, and have a Power BI Pro Account.

When I try to log into my data catalog, I can't validate with the remote server.  I'm using the same Azure AD login for Windows 10 Pro, O365 and Power BI.  When I select "My Data Catalog Queries" from the "Get and Transform" menu, I am prompted to log in. 

1. I enter my credentials

2. A message flashes up on the screen saying that I have been logged out, which disappears quickly.

3. The Power BI login screen appears in the background with an error message overlayed which says:

• Problem Signing In
  • A request couldn't be authorized.  Please make sure you're logged in with an account authorized to perform this action.

I am unable to go past this menu.  When I hit "Close", nothing happens, and I am returned to the Excel sheet.  If I go back to the Data Catalog Search menu, the experience repeats.

Help!

Thanks, Brian

6 REPLIES 6
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Can't Log into Data Catalog from Within Excel

@bftcpa,

Please check if you can sign in Power BI Service(app.powerbi.com) using this account, also go to Settings in the right upper corner to check if you are a Pro user after you sign in successfully.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
bftcpa Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Just checked, and when I log into app.powerbi.com with my credentials into app.powerbi.com, I have Power BI Pro.  While it doesn't say "pro" anywhere, I have 10 GB of storage. BFT Power BI Pro.pngMy Power BI Home Screen today.

When I use those same credentials to try to access the Data Catalog in Excel, (Data, My Data Catalog Queries) here's the screen I get.

BFT login 1.pngLogin screen 1 from within ExcelBFT login 2.png2 - The popup for the MS AuthenticationBFT login 3.png3- I enter passwordBFT Login 4.png4. A message flashes up saying that I've signed out of my accountBFT login 5.png5. I get this message saying that the request couldn't be authorized.

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

@bftcpa

What is your Excel version? I am unable to reproduce this issue on my side.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mhen-pbi Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

We are experiencing the same problem.

Excel is version 16.0.10827.20138 (64-bit)

dglaser Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

I'm having this exact same issue.  I have Excel 16.0.11001.20091 64-bit.  Has anyone made any progress on figuring this out?

7700 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi Lydia, I had a similar issue but mine doesn't even get to the password stage. Here is the advanced diagnostics id:

Sign in to your account