Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bftcpa

Can't Log into Data Catalog from Within Excel

I am using Office 365 ProPlus on an O365 E3 plan, and have a Power BI Pro Account.

When I try to log into my data catalog, I can't validate with the remote server.  I'm using the same Azure AD login for Windows 10 Pro, O365 and Power BI.  When I select "My Data Catalog Queries" from the "Get and Transform" menu, I am prompted to log in. 

1. I enter my credentials

2. A message flashes up on the screen saying that I have been logged out, which disappears quickly.

3. The Power BI login screen appears in the background with an error message overlayed which says:

• Problem Signing In
  • A request couldn't be authorized.  Please make sure you're logged in with an account authorized to perform this action.

I am unable to go past this menu.  When I hit "Close", nothing happens, and I am returned to the Excel sheet.  If I go back to the Data Catalog Search menu, the experience repeats.

Help!

Thanks, Brian

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@bftcpa,

Please check if you can sign in Power BI Service(app.powerbi.com) using this account, also go to Settings in the right upper corner to check if you are a Pro user after you sign in successfully.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Just checked, and when I log into app.powerbi.com with my credentials into app.powerbi.com, I have Power BI Pro.  While it doesn't say "pro" anywhere, I have 10 GB of storage. My Power BI Home Screen today.My Power BI Home Screen today.

When I use those same credentials to try to access the Data Catalog in Excel, (Data, My Data Catalog Queries) here's the screen I get.

Login screen 1 from within ExcelLogin screen 1 from within Excel2 - The popup for the MS Authentication2 - The popup for the MS Authentication3- I enter password3- I enter password4. A message flashes up saying that I've signed out of my account4. A message flashes up saying that I've signed out of my account5. I get this message saying that the request couldn't be authorized.5. I get this message saying that the request couldn't be authorized.

I'm having this exact same issue.  I have Excel 16.0.11001.20091 64-bit.  Has anyone made any progress on figuring this out?

@bftcpa

What is your Excel version? I am unable to reproduce this issue on my side.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia, I had a similar issue but mine doesn't even get to the password stage. Here is the advanced diagnostics id:

Sign in to your account

I am having exactly the same issue.

The problem seems to be that even though it indicates that you should provide an organisational account (which would be correct as this is where the Power BI license is) - it is actually not redirecting to our organisational Azure AD and is keeping with the Microsoft Authentication. I can tell this, not only because it does not present with the org branding on the login page - also it will not accept the org password but does accept the microsoft password (on the same email address)

So it seems that Excel is directing to the MS auth method rather than the organizational auth method. 

Strange as I am logged into Excel with my Organisational Account!

my version is 16.0.10730.20344

JonesTrac
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue, Excel isn't redirecting to our Org sign in at this point. When I enter my org username it just says no Microsoft account exists with that username.

We are experiencing the same problem.

Excel is version 16.0.10827.20138 (64-bit)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors