Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't Connect SSAS MD Database Through Data Gateway

Just upgraded to the data gateway version:  13.0.1700.1165.

I have existing connections that can connect to the SSAS servers.

I am able to add a new SQL Server connection.

All connections use the same service account. 

When I try to add a SSAS MD or SSAS Tabular connection, I get the error:

DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_AdomdConnectError

Any thoughts or debugging tips?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

I download the latest version of gateway from the following link, your step should also go into this link. After I upgrade my gateway, I find that the verison of it in control panel is 14.16.6228.1 .

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please provide details about the following things?

1. What version and edition of the SSAS server?
2. Do you install the gateway and SSAS server in a same domain or trusted domains?
3. Verify that if appropriate ports are opened in firewall.
4. Do you use alias to connect to the SSAS server? If so, please use actual machine name or IP address to connect to the SSAS server.
5. Make sure that if your account has sufficient permission to the SSAS server and database.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. What version and edition of the SSAS server?  

SSAS 2012 - 11.0.6540.0

2. Do you install the gateway and SSAS server in a same domain or trusted domains?

Yes.   The gateway is installed on SSAS Server.

3. Verify that if appropriate ports are opened in firewall.

Yes this is done.   From my email the existing data sources are still working and can connect.   I can add a new SQL Server       connection and it is able to connect.

4. Do you use alias to connect to the SSAS server? If so, please use actual machine name or IP address to connect to the SSAS server.

Existing connections are using aliases.   I have tried the machine name also and get the same errorl

5. Make sure that if your account has sufficient permission to the SSAS server and database.

Same account that the other connections are using and is an admin account.  Side question:  Has this changed to only need read permissons yet?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft any thoughts on this?   This is blocking my implementation of PowerBI?   Thanks!

Hi @Anonymous,

The latest version of Power BI gateway is 14.16.6228.1, please firstly upgrade your gateway to the latest version, then connect to SSAS database and check if you get any errors.

If you still get connection errors, please help to post detailed error message in gateway log.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia!   I will give it a try today and let you know.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft how do I get that version?   The process we have been using is going into Power BI portal, selecting downloads, then Data Gateway.   Is that the correct way to do it or is there a different way we should be doing the download?

Hi @Anonymous,

I download the latest version of gateway from the following link, your step should also go into this link. After I upgrade my gateway, I find that the verison of it in control panel is 14.16.6228.1 .

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft Thanks so much!   Will give it a try today.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors