cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwells7722 New Member

Can connect to ODBC data with Excel but not with Power BI

I'm a new user.

I have a database with many tables. The database is created and updated with Clarion Topspped. I can easily read and create reports in Excel using an ODBC driver that has been installed on my Windows machine. I can also get data using Access. But the same workbook can't find the tables with Power Pivot, even though it says that the connection was successful, and Power BI Desktop won't connect at all (perhaps because it is trying to write to the database). It is very frustrating to be able to connect easily with Excel and Access and to be completely stymied by Power Pivot and Power BI Desktop. Surely this is not a new phenomenon, but I"m not seeing others with the same question, so maybe I'm just asking wrong.

1 REPLY 1
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Can connect to ODBC data with Excel but not with Power BI

@rwells7722,

Do you create dsn for the Clarion Topspped data source with the help of ODBC driver ? If you have created the dsn, you can use ODBC connector in Power BI Desktop to connect to it and import data from required tables.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.