Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Best Practices for Upgrading/Updating Gateways

Hello all,

What is the recommended upgrade process for gateways? Do I install the newest update over the current installation or uninstall the current one and install the new one?

If the latter option, how do I backup/restore the data sources I've already set up on my current gateway after I install the newest version?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Holla,

Any updates?
I am getting the error as well.

Cat Mad

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should have a recovery Key while installing the Gateway. Keep that in handy. Go to Control Panel--> Select on premise gateway and click on Change, it will prompt for Uninstall though it wont uninstall. Setup will run to fix the issue. and then you can download the latest version of Gateway and can install. it will automatically update the existing one.

Key is first to make the existing gateway run without any issue before we go for upgrade.

Also check you are able to login to powerbi.com from your browser. Browser authentication is required when you try to upgrade the gateway.

Thanks,
Ankku

AnotherUsername
Frequent Visitor

I would also like to know what is the best practises in this regard. 

I'm getting the following message that I need to upgrade our gateway - we've got over 30 connections with 500 users on it at the moment.

GatewayMsg.png

dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Hi!
You don't have to uninstall the current gateway, installing the latest version will upgrade your current gateway to the latest.
In case the installation or configuration fails, you can use the "Recovery Key" you entered the first time you installed the gateway and this will recover all your data sources + credentials so you don't have to worry about migrating them.

2017-09-05_09h38_27.png

But it still asks me to uninstall the current one. And the current one is installed by previous developer. He has left and didn't leave any recovery key information...

If I uninstall the current one and reinstall the new one, it will wipe up all the previous configuration?

Thank you

Myra

What did you end up doing? 😞

@jonculp85 I uninstalled the previous gateway and reintalled a new one. 😞

Yes well did that today as half my connections seemed to start failing for no reason.

Issue 1: I did not back up the config files in the Program Files folder - we're using custom proxy settings but I did have the details

Issue 2: The new gateway doesn't work with the proxy settings. I'm going to create a post with details - this is so frustrating as I've got users dependent on this service and there is no consistent working experience. This will be escalated to Microsoft

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any update on this? I need to update my gateway and I fear the same issue happening in my environment. I too have many connection running in the current gateways

Any news regarding this? I've updated to the latest version and it seems its not working anymore.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors