Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

a495760
Frequent Visitor

Analyze ServiceNOW Data Exported to Excel

Hello,

I've been doing data analytics on the incidents for my support groups queue through exportation from ServiceNow into Excel and creating Pivot Tables. I do feel pretty comfortable and confident, but I'd like to move onto learning Power BI. The problem is that I cannot connect Power BI to my ServiceNOW URL to utilize the content pack due to my company using Signle Sign-On. I've still got a few Excel files that I exported out of SNOW and would like to know if there are any tutorials to create the reports on my own.

Is there a DIY version? Any assistance or guidance would be greatly apprecaited. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I guess that I am trying to replicate the features and functionality of the plugin since I am curently unable to utilize it in my environment. I am essentially trying ot learn Power BI on my own for a self-assigned project within my team. We are an operations based team and currently utilize no information from ServiceNow to take advantage of Incident Management Metrics or KPIs. I've struggled to find some examples online that are either tutorials or examples of what I'm trying ot accomplish. I've gotten to the point that I can connect my Power BI instance to our Oracle database. I've setup a query to pull in the interesting data; however it came into one table. So I've been looking at making multiple queries to create different tables for modeling purposes. Now that I've got the data formatted correctly, I'm trying to figure out the best way to visualize it through reports and a dashboard.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@a495760,

Yes. Single sign on is currently not supported for ServiceNow in Power BI, there is an idea about this issue, please vote it up.

In your scenario, you can directly connect to the Excel with pivot tables in Power BI Desktop using File->Import->Excel workbook contents option.
1.PNG

And you can connect to the other Excel files using Excel connector in Power BI Desktop, then create report and publish the report to Power BI Service.
2.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I was able to get my Power BI connected to our internal Data Warehouse. Is there a way that I can recreate the same features and functions provided by the ServiceNow Plugin on a manual basis? 

I am not familar with the different visuals and how Power BI interprets and reacts to the data.

@a495760,

What features and functions do you refer to? Could you please give an example?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I guess that I am trying to replicate the features and functionality of the plugin since I am curently unable to utilize it in my environment. I am essentially trying ot learn Power BI on my own for a self-assigned project within my team. We are an operations based team and currently utilize no information from ServiceNow to take advantage of Incident Management Metrics or KPIs. I've struggled to find some examples online that are either tutorials or examples of what I'm trying ot accomplish. I've gotten to the point that I can connect my Power BI instance to our Oracle database. I've setup a query to pull in the interesting data; however it came into one table. So I've been looking at making multiple queries to create different tables for modeling purposes. Now that I've got the data formatted correctly, I'm trying to figure out the best way to visualize it through reports and a dashboard.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors