Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

konstantinos
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

After upgrade excel 2016 PowerPivot Window is not showing data model (empty )

Hi all,

Sorry not too relevant for the forum but I know most of you work with Excel PowerPivot also.

Did anybody experience the same problem when upgrade excel from 2013 to 2016 from O365.

The data model is working in Excel window, powerquery ( Get & Transform ) also but when I opwn PowerPivot window to modify anything the data model is not showing. It is empty.

I tried to trigger it by refreshing queries , interact with data model in Excel window both with open and closed powerPivot window.

Also one or two files that sent me manage to open when most don't show nothing. Even tried to download it from onedrive directly.

Any ideas?

Konstantinos Ioannou
5 REPLIES 5
freder1ck
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

This is so wierd. I have the same issue. I guess I'll change back to 2013.

[update] I did find this thread, which gives me a couple of avenues to pursue:

http://forum.powerpivotpro.com/forums/topic/losing-data-model-connection-in-excel-2016/

@freder1ck You can check also this one

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3114297

Since last time I change laptops & install O365 2016 clean ( no other office before ) and now is working great. 

Konstantinos Ioannou

There is a separate tread below that explains the issue, dating back to October 2015, with nil resolution.  In short, closing Excel and saving via the dialog box (rather than saving the document and then closing Excel) will often cause the data model to disappear completely for folks using Excel 2016.  Unfortunately, for me that means that I cannot use Power Pivot at all, since I can't guarantee my clients will not be closing Excel in this fashion.  Seems to me Microsoft should come up with a fix fairly quickly / easily...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/64310a51-79fa-4437-8035-7c034f72a95b/powerpivot...

Hi Konstantinos,

I have Excel 1016 O365 and I don't have the problems described. Have you tried reaching the (empty) data model via VBA? Does something happen, when you put the following in the VBE?

Sub TryReachingDataModel()

With ActiveWorkbook
    .Model.Initialize
End With

End Sub

Regards,

Lars

Thanks @LarsSchreiber

I tried the Macro, it runned with no errors but nothing happened. Opened again the PP window , empty. 

Version is latest 16.0.6001.1038

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors