Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Active Directory as Datasource and On-Premise Data Gateway

I've used Active Directory as my only data source in my Power BI project and i've attempted to add this same data source into the On-Premise Data Gateway.   There is a data source type also called 'Active Directory' in there.  Using the same connection settings, the gateway fails with a 'DataSource.NotFound'.  Is there a trick to this?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Active Directory is not a supported data source for refresh.

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-troubleshoot-unsupported-data-source-for-refresh/

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia ( @v-yuezhe-msft ).

What does this connect to then?
(Taken from Add Data Source in Manage Gateways)

Capture.PNG

@Anonymous,

I guess the feature that supports refresh for Active Directory data source is under development, and the ActiveDirectory option is added in the source list.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Active Directory is not a supported data source for refresh.

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-troubleshoot-unsupported-data-source-for-refresh/

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia ( @v-yuezhe-msft ).

What does this connect to then?
(Taken from Add Data Source in Manage Gateways)

Capture.PNG

@Anonymous,

I guess the feature that supports refresh for Active Directory data source is under development, and the ActiveDirectory option is added in the source list.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news on this being available?

Hi guys,

Are there any news on this? 

Is there any way to have scheduled refresh on AD datasource?

Thanks

mjmmet
Frequent Visitor

I have been refreshing my Active Directory data source on a schedule since January and exactly 3 months after setting it up, it stopped working  with error  Invalid connection credentials error.  tried updating the on prem data gateway and resetting the password on the account that runs it.

Is anyone else refreshing Active Directory data source successfully?  it was previously working for me

NMAN47
Frequent Visitor

@mjmmet Have you had any luck with the AD gateway yet? Did you get it to work now? I can't even create a data source to AD.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It works for me when using Dataflows

My workaround is with a SSAS model, the refresh of the AD related queries is done with no issues there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors