Frequent Visitor

Re: May 3 announcement FAQ

I truly hope you reveal the additional SKUs soon becuase the current all-or-nothing pricing scheme for Premium prices out all but large enterprises.  

When you say the current embedded pricing will be be available for another 12 months, does this mean new users can sign up for this SKU for the next 12 months or will it only be available for 12 months for current, already in-place embedded customers? The article you linked suggests the latter.  And what happens when you finally revoke the plan fully?  

The embedded SKU was great becuase it was scalable to most use cases and enabled small businesses to get into Power BI without massive overhead - I thought that was the point of it and Microsoft's plan to disrupt Tableau and other BI service providers.  Until you release info on the new SKUs, there is absolutely no scaling in your new pricing scheme for client facing services. I've already reached out to Qlik and Tableau to get more info on their options.  (I really have, I'm not saying this to be dramatic.  As someone planning to launch a client-facing, read-only Power BI service in the coming weeks I now have to reevaluate my entire business model, particularly if you are taking away the ability for new signups to the existing embedded SKU at $5 per 100 sessions.)

Power BI Admin

Hey @kbl1726

Power BI Embedded will continue to be available for existing apps for a minimum of 12 months – it may be longer depending upon the nature of your licensing agreement. For example, if you have an enterprise agreement (EA), Power BI Embedded will be available until the expiration of your existing agreement. After that time apps will need to be migrated to Power BI and licensed through Power BI Premium

Data for Everyone! We mean it
Visitor

So, if I understood you correctly, if a Pro license user wants to share a dashboard with another person, that person will have to have Premium or Pro licenses to view it.
And if the a Pro license user has a Premium license on top of it, he (or she) can share content with Free license users.
Could yo please confirm it?

Power BI Admin

[ Edited ]

Hi @PowerBIUser123,

Beginning June 1 dashboard sharing (and the ability to consume shared content) will be limited to Power BI Pro users. When Power BI Premium becomes generally available late this quarter, a Power BI Pro user publishing to Premium capacity will be able to make that content available to users who aren't individually licensed but are part of the Premium Capacity. 

Super User

[ Edited ]

@RichardV@richbenmintz If you follow the main thread, @MiguelMartinez explained this there, but here is his response:

"The existing Power BI Embedded service will continue to be available for at least 12 months, and you can read more here.

We will be introducing additional SKUs for Power BI Premium that target embedded scenarios. While we aren’t disclosing details at this time, our approach is to add further pricing flexibility for embedded scenarios based on the needs of organizations building apps and their customers consuming them."
Near SE WI? Join our PUG MSBIWI
Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

Please provide us with answers. I work for a small company as well, and aan important reason we stepped over to Microsoft is the Power BI embedded service. However, we can't pay 60.000 dollar pear year for this. Then we will have to quit with Microsoft.

Why can't the Power BI embedded service stay as it is???

It is really outregious, and we feel cheated if Power BI embedded will only be available with Power BI premium. Please let the Power BI Embedded licensing model as it is.

Advisor

[ Edited ]

I cannot believe that Microsoft will be deprecating the current incarnation of power bi embedded with a migration plan that includes a minimum spend of $5000 per month on power bi premium! I work for a small company that simply cannot afford to pay $60,000 USD a year for an embedded platform. Can someone please explain how the minimum spent for power bi premium is $60,000 USD a year. I totally understand that large organizations complained that user based licensing got very expensive, but why is Microsoft not considering the SME in the Premium plan especially if embedded is being migrated to this licensing scheme.

Frequent Visitor

Can you provide a little bit of clarification around the sharing? I understand that a "free" user will not be able to share with others.

If I am a "Pro" user, can I share my dashboards with "Free" users? In our organization, there are really two types of individuals, Report Writers and Report Consumers. It would not make sense for us to pay for Pro licenses just for the users that we would be viewing some of the reports that we are putting together since they would not be using any of the other features of a pro license.

Nick

Power BI Admin

That’s correct @nickjgill, as we announced this morning Power BI Premium tackles that issue. We have a calculator that can help organizations figure out which option makes sense depending on their mix of Pro Users and readers. Depending on size and usage, the solution might be different.

Frequent Visitor

Um...what's Power BI PREMIUM? First I've seen of this.