Regular Visitor

Re: May 3 announcement FAQ

Today I received an email regarding the new changes. In the email it says:

If you’re interested in an extended Power BI Pro trial that will run from 1 June 2017, to 31 May 2018, simply sign in as normal on or after 1 June 2017, and get going. Contact us to learn more about Power BI Pro.

I'm currently on a free 2 month Pro trial. In the T&C for the extended Pro trial it says:

• Eligibility: Users who registered for the free Power BI service on or before May 2, 2017 and have signed into the service at least once between May 2, 2016 and May 2, 2017 are eligible for the Offer.
  • Exclusions: Power BI Pro and Power BI Pro trial users are not eligible for the Offer.

Could you please help clarify whether I'm eligible for the extended Pro trial? I assumed that since I received a targeted email inviting me to extend the trial that I would be eligible. However according to the T&C it sounds like I'm not.

Power BI Admin

[ Edited ]

Hi @freswood,

Thanks for asking this question. We needed to go back and make sure our T&C would cover this. The answer is Power BI Pro trial users will be eligible for the extended Power BI Pro trial offer as long as they registered for the free service on or before May 2. Please refer back to the extended Power BI Pro trial terms and conditions.

Data for Everyone! We mean it
Regular Visitor

Massive change for free users such as small businesses which I've been refering them to use Power BI as the best option in the market. Not sure where the power bi team had their feedback from (I suspect the internal people of commercial) to do this change only in giving a month notice (poor). 

Power BI Admin

Hi @osoosh,

Existing users of the free Power BI service may be eligible for the extended 12 month free trial of Power BI Pro - see here for more information.

I am not exactly sure why the same question continues to be asked, and answered in different ways on the message board.

I have a Power BI Pro license, and create dashboards for use in my organization.  Those individuals that are consuming the reports use their organizational credentials to access the dashboards (but are not pro users) though Office 365.

Can I expect that they will be able to continue to consume the existing/new dashboards I create, without having a Pro license?

Highlighted
Power BI Admin

[ Edited ]

Hi @irnm8dn,

Sorry if the answers have not tackled your question about free users. As you can see, the FAQ does not mention Office 365 licenses or users at all and that is by the design: all Power BI permissions and features for Pro and Free users are defined by a Power BI license, not an Office 365 one.

This means, and to answer your question more specifically, if the users you're sharing dashboards and reports with today do not have a Pro license, they will need one on June 1st to do so. It doesn't matter if they are Office 365 users or not.

Free users, beginning June 1st , can take advantage of the extended Pro trial to continue accessing the content. After the extended trial expires, users will need a Pro license to maintain access.

Terms and conditions for the extended trial can be found here.