cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wsabey Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

lab5 - upload canada.xslx placed in reports not datasets

bug?  why would the upload of the canada excel book end up in reports and not datasets?

can't finish lab5 since I can't build the report,  the fields selector is not available - it only shows the table

Lab5Excel.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
elRonaldo Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: lab5 - upload canada.xslx placed in reports not datasets

I can't remeber exactly, but I had some problems with the canada.xslx too.

If you tried the upload, then try the import button.

2016-05-19 12_45_22-Power BI - Internet Explorer.jpg

SamLester Established Member
Established Member

The instructions are misleading (or incorrect) in that the steps are to specifically upload the Canada.xslx file, which does not create the data set that we need. Instead, use the Import functionality to get the data set created.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT) 

Jabir New Member

Both for exercise 1 and 2 in Lab 5, I tried using Import Excel Data Using Power BI option and which put the excel files under datasets. And in the case of Lab2, it put the report under Reports. Then I was able to look at the report and answer the questions. 

When I used Upload your Excel file to Power BI for the second exercise, it didn't put the excel under data sets, but it put the report under 'reports'. But when I tried to open the report, it didn't open and showed a message 'You need a browser supporting Silverlight'. 

oprofen Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

That is the funny thing.

Silverlight is a tech which was introduced by microsoft , but then in a new edge browser they droped, but their products still rely on silverlight.

So what you can do about it:

1.download https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx and install it on your system

2.open power.bi in Mozilla or if you have Microsoft explorer

In Mozilla case you will have to enable silverlight. I used Mozilla since I have only Microsoft Edge but not Microsoft Explorer. I also tried to use emulator but it didn't work.