Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
naveen73
Frequent Visitor

lab 1

Perform the following steps:

• Name the query International Sales.
    • Select to combine (combined binaries) the content of those 4 files.
    • Filter the rows that come from the header of the CSV files. (Hint: One way to do this is to filter out the Country column from records containing “Country”).
    • Filter the rows that are after December 31st, 1999.

Hi,

I am trying to find out how to "Select to combine (combined binaries) the content of those 4 files." and the three bullet points from there on.

Please could you help me?

thanks,

Nav

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @naveen73

I think I know what you did:

After you choose the folder where the csv files are (International), you clicked "Load". But before loading the data, you have to EDIT them (here: combining).

Therefore, go to the Home Tab and choose "Edit Queries". You will then see the 4 files and the first row's header "Content".

Good luck

Dominik.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DominikPetri
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi Nav,

if you have followed the steps, your editor should show you 4 rows with the csv files. The first column's caption is "content". There is a small icon with 2 downward pointing arrows next to the column header. That is the "combine" you are looking for. Click on it and the content of all 4 csv files will be visible. Continue with step #3

Good luck

Dominik.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘

Hi DominikPetri,

Thanks for posting an answer. I will go through step by step.

• if you have followed the steps, your editor should show you 4 rows with the csv files. Yes, I can see this. 
  • The first column's caption is "content". I think this is were the problem lies. The first column is "Name".
  • There is a small icon with 2 downward pointing arrows next to the column header. That is the "combine" you are looking for. See second bullet point.

Do you think you can help me further?

Thanks,

Naveen

Hi @naveen73

I think I know what you did:

After you choose the folder where the csv files are (International), you clicked "Load". But before loading the data, you have to EDIT them (here: combining).

Therefore, go to the Home Tab and choose "Edit Queries". You will then see the 4 files and the first row's header "Content".

Good luck

Dominik.

View solution in original post

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @naveen73,

I have not done this lab before. However, I assume you have downloaded the 4 files.I would suggest any of the following:

1. Combine all 4 files via the command prompt. Put all 4 files in a brand new folder, then type "Copy *.* newfile.csv". This will merge all 4 files into a new file. You may want to remove the headers/columns from 3 of the files or you risk duplicating the headers. Note* I'm sure this isn't what the course wants you to do.

2. The probable answer is to load all 4 files into Power BI Desktop. Then use a DAX query with the UNION command to create a new table that merges all 4 files. Under 'Modeling' in Power BI Desktop, select 'New Table' then type:

<table name> = UNION(<table name 1>,<table name 2>, <table name 3>, <table name 4>)

Once you hit enter, a new table will be created that merges all 4. You have to ensure that the columns are identical in each file. There are other issues too, but I can't cover everything here. Good luck.

- Daniel

naveen73
Frequent Visitor

Dear djnww,

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on The first solution did not make sense and I started with the second option. However, the second option also did not work for me as I do not know what the names of the tables are. Are they called xyz.csv?

Thanks again,

Naveen

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power BI October Update 2021.jpg

Power BI Release

Click here to read more about the October 2021 Release!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Teds Dev Camp Oct. 2021 768x460.jpg

Power BI Dev Camp - October 28th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!