cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rajuk06 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Problem in Lab 4 Exercise 3 - Can't configure On-premises data gateway

So far, the report you uploaded is rather static. That means, if the data in the Access database changes, the report and dashboard are not updated. You can install Power BI Personal Gateway and schedule data refresh for on-premises data sources, such as the Access database, to keep your report and dashboard on Power BI service up-to-date.

NOTE: Power BI Pro is required to setup scheduled refresh for on-premises data. If you do not have Power BI Pro subscription you can enroll for a free 60 day trial.

1. On the Power BI website, click My Workspace, click Datasets, click Lab 4 – Starting, and click the Schedule refresh icon.
  2. Power BI Pro is required to setup scheduled refresh for on-premises data. If you do not have Power BI Pro subscription you can enrol for a 60 day trial.
  3. Ensure that you are in the Datasets tab and that the Lab 4 - Starting dataset is selected.
  4. Click Gateway connection and click Install now to download the Power BI Personal Gateway.
  5. When the download is complete, click the On-premises data gateway (by default it installs in personal mode), though I have installed from website {still below steps do not work) to begin installation.
  6. Click Next, accept the license terms, and click Install.
  7. Sign in using your Power BI account and click Close.
  8. In New on-premises data gateway name, type Van Arsdel Sales.
  9. In Recovery key and Confirm recovery key, type Pa$$w0rd, and click Configure.
  10. Click Close.
  11. Expand Data source credentials and, for Country Population by Year.xlsx, click Edit credentials.
  12. For Privacy level setting for this data source, select Organizational, and click Sign in.
  13. Edit credentials for the Data sources that needs updating.
  14. Now you can schedule your data source refresh.

Please help I am struggling since two days and cannot refresh using gateway. I have tried all trobleshouting and I think something wrong in this excercise steps.

1 REPLY 1
azcagaca New Member

Re: Problem in Lab 4 Exercise 3 - Can't configure On-premises data gateway

I was stuck at the same spot for the same reason. I skipped some steps and picked up with Step 12. In the Gateway Connection section, I turned on Personal Gateway (didn't have a chance to rename it because of the skipped steps. Below that in the Data source credentials section, I clicked on Edit credentials and that brought up a form where the third box was Privacy level setting for this data source. In that dropdown, I selected Organizational (as in Step 12). I did that for all three data sources. 

It appears to have worked and I can move on to scheduling.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

Power BI Helps Homeless and Trouble Youth

We spoke with Power BI Super User, Greg Deckler, about his charity work

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 195 members 2,231 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: