Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Lab 7 Exercise 2: Problem in connecting to Azure SQL Database

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm trying to follow the steps in Lab 7 Exercise 2, but i was unable to connect to "Azure SQL Database" in Power BI Service as it drives me directly to download "Desktop"

Problem in connecting to Azure SQL Database.jpg

can you please help me with this?

Regards,

Talal Albahra

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Lab 7 Exercise 2: Problem in connecting to Azure SQL Database

According to this documentation, you are no longer able to connect to an Azure SQL Database from the Power BI Cloud Service.

Woman Sad

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Established Member

As a workaround for this, you can open Power BI Desktop and connect to the Access DB that is contained as part of the lab files and used in previous labs (PowerBI.accdb) to complete Lab 7 Exercise 2. The intent of the lab appears to show how to connect to SQL Azure DB using Direct Query through the Power BI service, but since this isn't working, the videos/labs are out of date.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT) 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Even I am getting the same message with a download link for desktop.

While the data available in PBI desktop as per Ex-1 is the same.

However, this issue needs to be sorted out by the Admin as you are getting redirected for a PBI desktop download.

Frequent Visitor

According to this documentation, you are no longer able to connect to an Azure SQL Database from the Power BI Cloud Service.

Woman Sad

Highlighted
Established Member

As a workaround for this, you can open Power BI Desktop and connect to the Access DB that is contained as part of the lab files and used in previous labs (PowerBI.accdb) to complete Lab 7 Exercise 2. The intent of the lab appears to show how to connect to SQL Azure DB using Direct Query through the Power BI service, but since this isn't working, the videos/labs are out of date.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)