cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
andymyint Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Lab 3 > Exercise 3 > January 2014, what is VanArsdel's sales

I tried as suggested but my anwer (5440589.81) is prompted as incorrect. 

Am I missing something? 

Cheers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SamLester Established Member
Established Member

Re: Lab 3 > Exercise 3 > January 2014, what is VanArsdel's sales

@andymyint This question is confusing because VanArsdel refers to the company name and the name of one of the lines of products that you see in the bottom chart. Since this question asks specifically for sales of the Moderation segment of the company VanArsdel, you need to select the Moderation segment in the top chart to get the value for that specific segment (ignore the bottom chart for this question). The VanArsdel box in the treemap in the bottom chart is the product line with the same name. You could actually delete that chart and still get the answer for this question.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try to clarify a bit more.

If this response helps, please mark the question as answered and provide kudos for the assistance.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

6 REPLIES 6
Established Member

@andymyint This question is confusing because VanArsdel refers to the company name and the name of one of the lines of products that you see in the bottom chart. Since this question asks specifically for sales of the Moderation segment of the company VanArsdel, you need to select the Moderation segment in the top chart to get the value for that specific segment (ignore the bottom chart for this question). The VanArsdel box in the treemap in the bottom chart is the product line with the same name. You could actually delete that chart and still get the answer for this question.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try to clarify a bit more.

If this response helps, please mark the question as answered and provide kudos for the assistance.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

andymyint Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

It does help, Sam. 

Lucky I did not [FINAL CHECK], I would otherwise lose 4 points on this. 

Appreciate it. Cheers!

sschahal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sam - thanks for the explanation but I still do not understand your statement:

1.  re: "The VanArsdel box in the treemap in the bottom chart is the product line with the same name."

A. What is the 'product line' in the context of this data model / solution?

B. The visualization says Total Sales by Manufacturer so I don't understand why this visualization is to the relationship with the product line.

2. If one just hovers over Urban+Moderation on the top chart - how is one limiting the value to items manufactured by VanArsdel?  (Fortunately, it accepts the answer )

This is a confusing question - appreciate your help.

Thanks,

-Sudip

Established Member

@sschahal Hi Sudip, "product line" is probably the wrong term. You are correct that the bottom visual is for Manufacturer, which is the more appropriate term in this case.

The point I was trying to help clarify is confusion with this lab that you have a company called VanArsdel, which sells items from many different manufacturers (Natura, Pirum Abbas, along with a manufacturer also called VanArsdel). Some questions want the values for VanArsdel, the company, such as in Lab 3 Exercise 1 and in this question (lab 3, exercise 2, lab question 1). The treemap, with manufacturer details, only comes into play for Lab Question 2.

Thanks,
Sam

sschahal Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thank you - very clear now.

-Sudip

RonH Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I agree, it is very clear now, but unfortunately I missed about 6-8 points because the questions were unclear as to whether they referred to the total sales of all manufacturers or the VanArdel sales.  I hope the edX team will fix those questions, they are poorly worded.

I have learned a lesson from this, I will check the forum discussions when I miss a problem the first time and I know I did the lab correctly.  The above discussion would have saved me from much frustration and some points.  Hopefully they will not cause me to flunk this module.