cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataScrubber Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Lab 1 - Exercise 2 - Confused on what dates to filter out

Hello,

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but the text isn't clear.

"Filter the rows that are after December 31st, 1999"

Am I being asked to filter the query so that I ONLY see rows after 12/31?  (I'd rephrase as "Filter out the rows that are before January 1, 2000")

Or am I being asked to filter the query so that I DO NOT see rows after 12/31?  (I'd rephrase as "filter out the rows...")

I am guessing it's probably the first one, since that's how the filtering worked for Exercise 1.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SamLester Established Member
Established Member

Re: Lab 1 - Exercise 2 - Confused on what dates to filter out

@DataScrubber Yes, you are correct both that the text is quite vague and that the intent is to filter the query so that you only see rows after 12/31/1999. The specific instructions for Lab 1 Exercise 1 are much more clear:

Filter the rows on the bi_date query to include dates from January 1st, 2000. (Hint: Apply a Date filter in the Date column to import dates after December 31st, 1999. Before you can apply a date filter, you need to change the Date column's Data Type to Date).

The intent is to filter out / remove the "old" data (prior to Jan 1, 2000) in both exercises.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

3 REPLIES 3
SamLester Established Member
Established Member

@DataScrubber Yes, you are correct both that the text is quite vague and that the intent is to filter the query so that you only see rows after 12/31/1999. The specific instructions for Lab 1 Exercise 1 are much more clear:

Filter the rows on the bi_date query to include dates from January 1st, 2000. (Hint: Apply a Date filter in the Date column to import dates after December 31st, 1999. Before you can apply a date filter, you need to change the Date column's Data Type to Date).

The intent is to filter out / remove the "old" data (prior to Jan 1, 2000) in both exercises.

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

DataScrubber Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Great, thanks for clearing that up for me Sam!

Highlighted
Ajithd Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

hi I did exactly that. change the text type to date type. Then I get error in my POwer BI column for the dates like 2/15/2002 etc and cannaot append. Then i simply remove the text version . Then I get more numbers of files than the answwer. So both my attemps failed. I don't really think this is fair.

Thanks