Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

how much will it cost to visualize dashboards and reports published with Power Bi Pro after 6/1/2017

Hello, 

Could someone tell me if it will be necessary to pay a Power Bi Pro Licence to visualize dashboards or reports of a user who has published his dashboards and reports with a Power Bi Pro Version ?

I can imagine that Power be will not stay free to CREATE dashboards.... But will the only visualisation will be paying too ?

What about publishing on the Web functionnalities ?

Thank you for your answers

Laurent

Accepted Solutions
Super User

Re: how much will it cost to visualize dashboards and reports published with Power Bi Pro after 6/1/

@Laurent as of 6/1 Sharing of any kind will require both users to have a Pro license.

Free - will no longer be able to share, but will have all not have any restrictions on data access or refreshing for personal use

Pro - Can Share

Publish to Web - the unsecure method that will expose your data to everyone on the internet, will be available in the Free version. That is the only method of sharing available, which is most definitely not recommended for company data.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG MSBIWI

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Re: how much will it cost to visualize dashboards and reports published with Power Bi Pro after 6/1/

@Laurent as of 6/1 Sharing of any kind will require both users to have a Pro license.

Free - will no longer be able to share, but will have all not have any restrictions on data access or refreshing for personal use

Pro - Can Share

Publish to Web - the unsecure method that will expose your data to everyone on the internet, will be available in the Free version. That is the only method of sharing available, which is most definitely not recommended for company data.

Near SE WI? Join our PUG MSBIWI
Frequent Visitor

Hello and thank you for your reply.

My organisation could be interressed in Power Bi On Premise solution but I saw on the Microsoft calculator that this kind of licencing costed more than 6000€ a month... !!! ???

Do you know if it's an error or why it is so expansive.

My organisation is a Public One (municipality level)

... I would like to find some microsoft interlocutor to have more information.

would you have an contact email for me ?

Thank you in advance

Laurent

I am guessing your calculator is correct.  To user Power BI Premium, you have to have both a server license and Pro licenses for all of the people who are creating reports.  If people are not creating reports, they don't need pro licenses.  There is one exception to this, and that involves Sharepoint.  If you post reports to Sharepoint to see them you will need a Pro License.

If you think all of this is too much and want to use Power BI Reporting Server which will be available for everyone with  SQL Server 2016 and Software Assurance, remember that this option will not include dashboards.  If you want dashboards, you are going to be buying buying Power BI Pro.

Regards,

Ginger

www.desertislesql.com