Super User

SSRS, SQL Server Enterprise Edition and On-Premise Reporting Server

[ Edited ]

EDIT: URL to article

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-announces-power-bi-premium/

I've been reading through ZDNets overview of the Power BI Changes and I was curious about something mentioned in the section "New deployment, Developer options".  ZDNet writes in the 3rd paragraph of this section:

"Since Power BI Report Server is actually just a superset of SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), it turns out that per-core licensees of SQL Server Enterprise Edition who also have Software Assurance (Microsoft's annuity software licensing plan) will be able to host Power BI reports on-premises without a Power BI Premium subscription.  Cores used by Power BI Report Server do count against the customer's license, but that would be the case with SSRS anyway."

So if i'm reading that correctly, if our company already has the SQL Server Enterprise Edition, we could spin up our own On-Premise Report Server and essentially host our own "Power BI Premium", without having to go to the $5k a year just paying the increased SSRS costs?  So literally out business could pay for a handful of Pro Licenses for Authors and use SSRS for the backend?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Regular Visitor

Re: SSRS, SQL Server Enterprise Edition and On-Premise Reporting Server

Super User

Thanks.  Yeah i read that as well.  I'm looking for costing solutions and i don't want colour my "advice" to the business with my optimism.

With the exception of the Zdnet article, most don't explictly state it.  They tend to talk about the on-premise pairing with Premium.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

What I have been reading about the Power BI Reporting Server aka Power BI On-Premsise is that it is R E P O R T I N G.  This means no dashboards, exporting data to excel or QA.  Sure you don't have to have a Pro License, but if you don't have a Pro license, you are not going to get a lot of the features that users associate with Power BI.

Frequent Visitor

Our company is relatively new with Power BI but we have SQL Enterprise.  We've been testing using Power BI desktop and we cannot use Power BI cloud due to regulations in our industry.  We have yet to deploy Power BI reports to report users or take the full dive and have been waiting on what the on premise solution looks like. We're about to test Power BI desktop with SSAS Tabular in a development environment.  We'd like to shift many of our SSRS static reports to the more interactive Power BI format via on premise Power BI server.

For someone who hasn't and will not any time soon deploy to Poewer BI in the cloud can someone please explain the differences I would expect between "Reporting" and "Dashboards" in an on-premise deployment of Power BI via SSRS.

I of course understand the general difference between a report and a dashboard, but can someone explain this functional distinction as it pertains specifically to the Power BI on premise platform through SSRS / Power BI on premise server?

I'm also unclear about how an on premise Power BI report server deployment relates to Power BI Pro.  Let's say we find that, as described above, we get Power BI on premise server through SSRS via our existing SQL Enterprise license.  With the appropriate Power BI Pro licenses (at $9.99 / mo.?) do we get Power BI "dashboard" features like exporting data to Excel or QA, or building whatever Poewr BI considers a "dashboard" vs a "report" with the on premise Power BI report server deployment?

Very unclear about how all of this works and wanting to take the dive / invest our time in deploying this but feeling stuck in limbo.

Super User

My understanding its all about where the "Cloud" data lives and what doing the number crunching.  So the user would still log in via the Office 365 web pages but the user doesn't see where something is happening, they just get to see the results.  Its still seamless.

When a creator publishes, the pbix file and its dataset have to be stored somewhere.  Presently this would be Microsoft hardware.  On-Premise would shift this to your own hardware.  When a report is accessed, something has to run the calculations and hit the cloud database.  Premium is hardware that exclusive to you, but its still in the Cloud and owned by Microsoft.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Frequent Visitor

Early builds of SSRS 2017 (V.Next at the time) contained the ability to render Power BI (Interactive) reports in addition to the “classic” RDL (Paginated) reports that SSRS is well known for and the recently added RSMOBILE (Mobile) report types. However, when PBIRS was introduced, SSRS lost that capability, and from a feature standpoint, it really was the only difference between the two. The recent introduction of the Excel report type (Analytical) to PBIRS has further differentiated the two products.

Hi @Ross73312 

Did you manage to get a good answer to this?

Basically if an organization does not need cloud/online services, and is happy with Power BI Reports (pbix based) on the report server along with traditional .rdl reports. Then with SQL Enterprise license (with Software Assurance) does the organization have to spend any more money to use Power BI report server. Is the Power BI Pro license ($9.99/month) also needed? 

Thanks.

Super User

We ended up going down the route of Premium, so it didn't matter.  I didn't look into it any further.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

So Bros, did u all have a final solution yet? I'm now in the same case and wondering how i can set PowerBI local server with SSAS to replace SSRSSmiley Wink