Power BI Premium Licenses & Power BI Report Server Questions

Dears, 

With the recent announce for Power BI  Premium for Power BI On Premises Server & earlier technical preview below.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/03/introducing-power-bi-report-server-for-on-...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-accelerates-modern-bi-adoption-with-power-bi-prem...

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/samlester/2016/04/18/power-bi-ssrs-2016-in-an-on-premises-environme...

According to statement "SQL Server Enterprise Edition per-core customers with active Software Assurance (SA) will also have the rights to deploy Power BI Report Server through SA entitlement.", if the company already purchase SQL Server Enterprise Edition per-core customers with active Software Assurance (SA) , then

1. The Power BI Server could be located in company network ?

2. The Power BI Report Server is different from the MS SQL Reporting Services Server which host the SSRS reports or the Power BI reports (Under Technical Preview) ?

3. Company has the rights only keep the Power BI reports inside the Power BI Report Server but not published to cloud ?

4. Any limitation for no. of users / reports stored in the Power BI Reprt Server ?

5. There is monthly fee for Power BI Premium per Node per Month, then if the Power BI reports not publish to cloud only use the Power BI Report Server. Do company pay the subscription or only puchase the SQL Server Enterprise Edition per-core customers with active Software Assurance (SA) is enough ?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/zh-tw/calculator/

Thanks !

Andy Wong

andykm.wong@dhl.com

Re: Power BI Premium Licenses & Power BI Report Server Questions

The Technical Preview Announce ealrier should be this one.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/01/17/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-s...

Thanks !

Actually what means by "With Power BI Premium the same number of virtual cores an organization provisions in the cloud can also be deployed on-premises through Power BI Report Server" ?

Any Example to clarify this statement ?

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-accelerates-modern-bi-adoption-with-power-bi-prem...

Thanks !

Andy Wong

Regular Visitor

The comments in the announcement notice (first link in the original post) worry me as some of the Microsoft responses imply that even if you have SQL via an SA license and you use the new report server purely on premises you still need Power BI user licenses to publish reports to your own server. If this is true this would likely have a significant impact on our plans to make use of Power BI.

I posted a comment asking for clarification but unfortunately it appears to have been deleted from the page.

Barney

If it is the case. Think if only need to store the data reports on-premises then only purchase MS SQL Server Enterprise then use Report Rebuilder and SSRS Mobile reports would be sutstitutation to Power BI.

Regular Visitor

Power BI Report Server is a superset of SQL Server Reporting Services. A Power BI Report Server supports Power BI reports, *plus* all the features of an SSRS report server. So if you have a Power BI Report Server, you don’t necessarily need a separate SSRS report server.

Occasional Visitor

[ Edited ]

Actually, I came across the same problem. return man 3

I've been researching this stuff today - I can answer a few of these questions:

1. Yes, a "Power BI Report Server" could be onpremise

2. "Power BI Report Server" is a full SSRS server plus more stuff, so you could migrate things over and close down the old SSRS-only server.

3. The ability to publish is from the client. If you pay for hosting, you can publish to cloud.  Buying "Power BI Report Server" doesn't give you hosting.

4. Dunno - I'm looking for this too. The generic answer will be subject to CPU/etc, but there are probably some soft limits.

5. This one is a guess: I would say if you dont publish to the cloud, you don't pay for the cloud.

On the subsumed licensing question - for on premise use, you can either

1. pay for SQL Server Enterprise Edition (with SA) (which doesn't come with any cloud hosting)

2. buy PowerBI BI Premium (which DOES come with cloud hosting, but using that is optional)

Frequent Visitor

I'm struggling with #2:

Can we still publish pbix files / reports to SSRS server (as in the current technical preview) without having to go the expensive route of full Software Assurance / Enterprise SQL or with separately purchasing Power BI Premium?

That would be a helpful option for small companies who can't go the same route as larger operations.

We really need some kind of cost effective way to let report viewers use Power BI reports without multiplying the cost of our current MS BI stack.

Regular Visitor

>> pay for SQL Server Enterprise Edition (with SA) (which doesn't come with any cloud hosting)

The clarification I need is if you already own SQL server 2016 Enterprise with SA what are the implications.

This should be a no extra cost update for us with the ability to let users access the reports just like we already do 

with report server.