Regular Visitor

Re: Power BI Embedded vs Premium: Clarifications

tannera, I guess there is an option that each of embedded user has Pro licence (if I have understood this correctly), and also there was information that there is a smaller, limited "Premium" plan for arround 650$ (or something along those lines), but I have not tried none of these yet. For now on I am still using the "old way" - but soon enough I'll have to explore one of those 2 options... (most likely the first one, since I doubt that my solution will have a huge grow in a nearest half year)

Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I know that the EM1 plan still isn't possible to buy but have a question about it.

In our organization we have implemented Office 365 for all our employees. Everyone has a e-mail in Outlook. We are using SharePoint to co-work with everyone. 

When EM1 plan will be possible to buy our goal is to embed Power BI reports in SharePoint site and show it to our employees without necessity to buy for each of them Pro license. 

So my question is:

1) It will be possible to embed Power BI report in SharePoint and share it to our (non-pro Power BI) users  ? 

2) Is the Row-Level-Security still working when we share the report in SharePoint (for users without pro licenses)?

I'm looking forward for your answers Smiley Happy Thanks!

Regular Visitor

Hello MCS

I recently blogged about the licensing requirements for the Power BI web part in SHarePoint here: https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2017/08/license-needed-power-bi-web-part/

To answer:

1) Yes - you will be able to do this if the report has been deployed to Premium capacity

2) Row level security currently requires a Group with specific security settings. Since a group requires a pro license, my conclusion is that no, that will not work. However, I do not curently have Premium, so I can't test this to be certain. 

I should also point out that EM1 will not work for this scenario. EM1 is a developer SKU for Power BI embedded. This does NOT apply to embedding in SharePoint. You will need one of the P Premium SKUs for this. 

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

So what you are saying is that (in the future) in order to distribute your report via SharePoint Online using embedding you need to pay a minimum of 5000 USD pr. month? (P1 at the current NOK -> USD exchange rate). 

Also, I'm confused as to if the OP is talking about RLS in a cube or the RLS option you have when building the report in PBI Dashboard, I'm guessing it's the latter in this case. So what you're saying here is that even with a 5 000 USD license per month (In order to even make embedding work), you would also need to license all consuming users with a pro license in order to utilize RLS?

Doesn't all this sound like PowerBI actually just wants to kill it self?

Regular Visitor

It seems that there is some confusion about the difference between embedding Power BI reports, and Power BI embedded. I wrote this post to explain the difference:

https://whitepages.unlimitedviz.com/2017/08/power-bi-embedded-embedding-power-bi-reports/

Regular Visitor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, @diverdown1964 it all makes much more sense now. However, this news is bad for people like me, as this means that there will be no cheaper premium license available to others than ISVs. 

I was hoping there would be a premium license that would let me share reports using the PowerBI Service or SharePoint Online for something far less than 5000 USD per month, and not have to ask customers to sign up for a Pro-license which is just a silly thing to ask. 

The only option I am left with as a consultant (not a developer of applications) is selling the product and training to customers for use and collaboration internally (not with their clients who might not have PowerBI Pro), by having them all license their users with E3+Pro or E5 licenses (hassle). Asking a customer to pay for a P1 is professional suicide... With the company sizes we're dealing with in this country they would have me admitted

Even the latter alternative has its drawbacks...I can already visualize the scenarios...

CTO: "Why does everyone need a PowerBI Pro /E5-license? 99% of our users only need to read reports the CFO made and published, are you ripping us off!? These things cost money!"

Me: "All users, content creators, and consumers need to have a pro-license."

CTO: "I've heard of premium subscriptions that let anyone read reports without a pro-license, even externals who don't necessarily have a pro-license...Also it would be really nice and professional looking for us to share reports with our paying clients like that!"
Me: "Yeah that would be great, but computer says: 5000 USD per month."
CTO: "What!? For how many users?"

Me: "1 and up to [insert complicated calculations to figure out when you need to pay 10 000 USD]"

Hooray...

@diverdown1964, I have not noted such confusion in this post -- at least in all the replies I have read so far. As the author of this post, I was asking for clarifications on the cost of the Premium SKUs -- and then on the availability of the so called EM1 SKU.

Power BI Team

Sharing a report for Power BI free users is a Power BI feature (not power BI Embedded), due to that it is only possible to use a Premium SKU if reports are consumed through PowerBI.com, and also the EM3 node for users who only consume the reports through SharePoint

This was comunicated by Amir Netz on this years MDIS conference

Hope this helps

Aviv

Regular Visitor

On August 11, 2017, a MS rep from the PowerBI team told me via email that the EM1 and EM2 tiers would be availabe "at the end of this month".  Has this been moved.... AGAIN?  My company has invested the last 6 months working on a brand new BI solution leveraging Power BI, and we are not able to launch because of this crap.  Can you give us a clear timeline on when the EM1 tier will be available?   This is a serious problem for us, and will have a direct financial impact on our company if we don't get a resolution soon.

Regular Visitor

@avive: Did he say why EM3 is ok for SharePoint and EM1 and 2 is not? I just received information directly from an MS representative, with the following information on all 3 EMs: Only allows consumption through embedded APIs and controls. Power BI Report Server not included.